coal ash in the DR

dominicanadian

Aug 30, 2010
puryear270

I started a new thread here to try and answer your question, did'nt want to confuse anyone, I'm just learning the rules on the forums. Here are a few things i found out about the ash from coal power plants. As far as exact areas were these toxins are stored I can't find much info. ( some what secretive), for all i know it could be next to the top of one of the rios that i like to swim in :paranoid:
here is what i could find:

As reported, a Virginia-based power company, AES Corporation, is blamed for causing these health problems after illegally dumping 160 million pounds of coal ash in the Dominican Republic. The company is accused of hiring a contractor to ship the coal ash -- a byproduct of burning the fossil fuel at power plants -- to Saman?, on the Dominican Republic's Atlantic coast, where it sat for two years. Later, villagers began to complain of children being born with horrible disorders, such as missing limbs or having organs on the outside of their bodies. Last week, a class action lawsuit was filed in a Delaware court alleging AES is responsible for the health problems in Saman? and should be held liable for correcting the situation.

If you think what pours out of power plant smokestacks is bad, consider what gets left behind. The waste from burning coal is packed with heavy metals such as arsenic, which causes cancer. Around the country, about 600 landfills and surface ponds are used to store leftover contaminated coal waste. When they break or leak, communities face the risk of contaminated farmland, wildlife and drinking water. And the coal ash stored in unlined landfills in communities all across the country -- and around the world -- can leach into drinking water supplies.

In fact, people living near unlined coal ash impoundments have as much as a 1 in 50 chance of getting cancer from drinking water contaminated by arsenic leaking from the sites, according to studies by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

This begs the question: How can we be sure how many wet or dry coal ash storage dumps there are around the country, given that we're relying on self-reporting by the power sector? And given the alarming reports from the Dominican Republic, how safe are the people who live near these waste ponds and landfills?

The Habo I coal-fired plant at Haina was inaugurated in 1984.

while i was searching i ran across a forum that hillbilly started before on dr1 and he left a link to this

Greentech Media

very intersting and what i was talking about in the straw bail house thread, It's not the best solution, but it's better than holding it in pools throughout the country. and would create some much needed employment.

I would prefer to see the companies promoting the wind generation electricity. although expensive could help promote the dr as a socially responsible country and possibly open doors in the energy sector in the global market place. well a lot of long reading, possibly HB knows were they are. Hillbilly man u know alot, you should be an adviser to el presidente ( not the beer).:glasses:

Reactions: AlterEgo

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ha Ha..

That was Itabo I, the coal-fired generation facility.
There is a lot of controversy over the evils of "fly ash", "coal ash" and such. The disaster in TN seems to tilt the balance against it a lot.

Its use in highways and building materials, however, seems to be a positive solution.

FYI, it was dumped in Saman? (and since been removed and incinerated--at least that was the report in most of the newspapers), and also in Manzanillo, where it was used to make a "parking lot"??? but I have little information on that. You can send a PM to Texas Bill, who knows more about that area than I do. (There is a huge thread on this in the DR1.com archives)

Cordially,

HB

dominicanadian

Aug 30, 2010
wow, glad to hear they are currently using it in construction, mabey the dr is not as behind the times as i thought, learn sum new everyday.