explore samana

dr2011

Jan 3, 2011
My husband and i are planning to spend next month in DR. wanted to see/stay mostly in sosua and cabarete, but also visit for some time samana/les terrenas. Could anyone tell what is the best way to move around, we know no spanish and we are on a modest budget. is it easy to rent a car? what would it cost? is it easy to take a bus from cabarete to les terrenas?. is there anyone who has done some exploring of samana remote beaches and other interesting places and could share their experience? What is the best way to find a place to stay while on the move? how safe is it for two people to explore on their own?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Exploring Samana

Hi:

Without any language skills it is difficult, but not impossible to do some exploring.
The easiest and most direct way would be to rent a small SUV. I live in Las Terrenas but have rented vehicles from Universal Car Rental in Cabarate. They speak English and are trustworthy. From Cabarate to Las Terrenas is approximately a 3 hr car ride. It is a straight shot, until you turn left in Sanchez to access the mountain road to Las Terrenas. The roads are very good. The worst roads you will encounter are the last 12KM over the mountain into Las Terrenas. This part of the road has a lot of switchbacks and some of the road is under repair and other parts just a lot of pot holes. You will be on this for about 1/2 hour and finally come into Las Terrenas. Follow the road all the way thru town and stay to the right past the cemetary you will begin to see the beach. All along this section of Playa Poppi there are many small hotels and restaurants.
If you want to stay overnight this would be a good choice. In El Limon you can check out the Falls or in Samana there is whale watching. The Samana peninsula is probably one of the most beautiful places in the country. Make sure you bring pesos with you for gas, etc. Have fun.

S

samana-lovin-it

Dec 19, 2011
Samana is a great place to go

Hey I know how you feel, uncertain about the language, I suggest you hook up with someone when you first get here that can help you. There is a couple that does tours and things I have used them alot. Its not too expensive, but they can help you in a lot of ways. For instance, they have a horseback riding adventure, where you get to ride across the peninsula, see villages, rivers, even ride on the beach. They feed you this great meal, take you to a falls where you can explore, swim, whatever, and more. All day with them is only from about 50 to 65 for the day.. its a beautiful way to see Samana, the locals and explore. They speak english, and will help you with other things you want to know, how to get around and more. They are so helpful and informative, funny and just a great resource. So if you are on a budget, this is a worthwhile investment to get you started.
Also when you fly into the Dominican Republic, if you come in to Santo Domingo, as you exit the airport, there are taxi's there, they can take you to the Carribe Tours Bus station, which is a nice comfortable ride to Samana if you want to go. Laura and Domingo can meet you at the station and get you to where you are suppose to stay. They can also give you suggestions on places that are reasonable to rent but decent. If you fly in the last Carribe Tours Bus to Samana leaves at 4:30pm sharp! It takes about 20 to 30 minutes to get to it from the airport. So if you are arriving late, plan to stay. (You may want to tour around the capital anyway). To save money there is a clean little hotel near the bus station, they are not expensive and they will take you to the bus station (which is nearby) for free. They speak English there. So it is cheaper to take your taxi there, (which will cost you about 35 U.S. ) then stay the night at that hotel. which is about $30 for two.They will take you to a safe place to eat too if you want to go out to dinner, and also they cook in the morning. The owner ( a woman) will help you with whatever you want to see. Write down what you want to do, and where you want to go ahead of time in Spanish, you can just show it to the Taxi driver or at the bus station... the bus station is honest, go to the last booth when inside, the lady speaks english. Also the taxi drivers there at the airport have to all charge the same it seems. Or they are not aloud to pick you up. so you don't have to worry about that either. Go to Explore Saman Dominican Republic for a Great Vacation you can get a hold of Laura there, she speaks english, (from the states). She can help you with everything in Samana, which really has the best of everything on the Island and a great place to make your main part of your visit and explore from there. It's absolutely beautiful and so much to see and do. If you want the name of the hotel, its something like the eating place in spanish... but I have a card somewhere and will find it for you if you are interested. It's for staying in the capital, Samana has many choices and Laura can help you with that. But make arrangements ahead if possible.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Would recommend you look at the dates of the last posts when you answer... these people came and left several months ago. Good info though.