Cost for DR resident adopting DR child

marshmallow

Jan 15, 2011
Hi everyone,

I'm Dominican and live in the US with my husband. I am saving and waiting until I am 30 so we can start the process of adopting a Dominican child (or children, if siblings are available).

I still have at least 3 more years to save up, but I am really concerned about the costs, as I've seen people who've paid 20k and 25k.

Is it realistic to think I would be able to visit orphanages myself in DR and start the adoption process once I find the child? I understand there's a lot of other things that need to be done after that, but can you find the children on your own, or do you have to have an agency from the US?

Also, would the cost be any different for a DR resident? or any easier?

And considering that I lived in the Dominican until I was 21, am I still required to stay and live there for 60 days with the child?

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!

Reactions: waytogo

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
One thing you should keep in mind is that many children in orphanages are there not because they are true orphans but because their parents cannot care for them. That means, of course, that they will not be available for adoption unless the relatives consent.

Reactions: waytogo

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you have read the above, let me advise you that the process is not really costly, but it is time consuming. You might start now to get on a list and maybe in 4 or 5 years you might have an opportunity to adopt. God bless you.

There is another way, which is to have people in hospitals and clinics where very young girls give birth and then abandon their child. Happens all the time. If you can get one of these for "temporary" care, it might parley into long term...but it is iffy...

Good luck...

HB

marshmallow

Jan 15, 2011
You say it's not costly...do you have an idea of about how much it might be?

and does it really take 4-5 years? that's crazy!

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
hey marshmallow, i sent you a Private Message on how to do this, did you receive it?..................

Songbird

Jan 25, 2011
I have the same problem: Residency and Adoption for a US Citizen

> My fiance is Dominican. We want to live in DR permanently. We are leaving the US. How long would it take to get residency for me. Can a resident adopt if married to a Dominican man? We have been together for 5 years in America and I am a US Citizen, he is a DR citizen. If I marry him in DR will I become an automatic DR Citizen, and would that speed up the adoption process? We don't want an International adoption. We want to live there permanently and adopt a child as soon as we marry there.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
listen to Fabio and Skip the "Easy Ways",
there are None and the ones taken can have very bad taste afterwards.
We've been interested Ourselfes in adopting,
we wanted to adopt a specific child(still not born but will be abandoned by the Mother upon Birth), the DR Law does not give such possibility. You have to take Your Time and get in their waiting list.

Mike