Border crossing - Mid JAN 2011

frozenpenguins

Jan 15, 2011
Hi... thinking of crossing the border into Haiti. Just walk across and walk back and get a new entry stamp into DR (for my own reasons...wont put them so as not to distract from the primary question). Canadian citizen.... will I have any trouble given the current tensions? Probably the Jimani crossing.

Thnx.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
No bother other than the slog of actually doing it.
If you have time then the Dajabon crossing is way more chilled out.
There is nothing to see or do once you cross the border at Jimani.
At Dajabon you can get a motoconcho into Ounaminthe (Mendez) and make an afternoon of it.

It is cheaper to pay the overstay charge when you leave but you may need to do it for the driving license..? Who knows..?

I am thoroughly distracted from the primary question, by the way - really curious why you need to do it..... ;)

frozenpenguins

Jan 15, 2011
Thanks pedrochemical!! Yup, driver's license is it... will be doing some tripping around the country in unfamiliar territory and thought it's worth it to keep legal should the unthinkable happen.

Just didn't want the post to turn into a debate about whether it's really necessary.

Am in the south... so actually might do the Comendador crossing, as it looks like the road might be better than the one to Jimani.

Thanks again.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I would certainly recommend the Comendador crossing.. since Belledaire is WAY MORE interesting than any of the other border towns. When I was there last, a couple of years ago, you could not get a stamp in Haiti but could certainly get one on the DR side of the border. They were building a custom's point there in Haiti so they might be up and running...

I love Belledaire... really a gorgeous market area with a central square and lots of activity.

You can probably also get a stamp in Pedernales.. although I am not 100% certain of that......

but there is nothing to see in either Jimani or Wanamet... really..

there is a good hotel outside Matas de Farfan, called de Cactus..
market days are monday and friday ... you may want to cross on another day to avoid the crowds....

remember that there is a one hour time difference.. so that you do not have to stand in customs in Haiti (they did not have the stamp but they do have a form you fill out for the $10 fee) from 8 to 9 AM waiting for them to open!