Transport help about Punata Cana - Las Terrenas and Las Terrenas - La Romana

bay_kolio

Nov 5, 2010
Hi friends

We have book for 5 day hotel Iberostar in Punat Cana and then 5 days in Las Terrenas and last four days are in Bayahibe La Romana. Now I see that haven't road and regular transport between this towns. Can you give us advice how to go from Punta Cana to Las Terrenas?
I will try to find rent a car for good price that can take from one place to another, if can't find we will use public transport. I make two routes here: http://kolio.net/img/by-way.gif and http://kolio.net/img/by-bus-boat.gif
Is it possible to realise for one day? I sow site Caribe Tours but there is only buses from Santo Domingo not from Bevaro or Punta Cana. Is there public transport?
Is it possible to find cheap local fly?

We have another route after Las Terrenas to La Romana - Bayahibe. What is your recommends about that?
Some advice for rent a car service?

Thanks again

Nikolay

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Transportation Dalema

Hi:

As you surmised none of these locations are really located conveniently near each other. Your best bet is to rent an SUV. You will need it on some of the roads. When you rent your vehicle you need to find out where you will need to drop it off or if the rental company will accomodate you and come pick it up. This will probably be an extra charge. From Punta Cana you will need to go back thru Santo Domingo, head towards Las Americas Airport and access the new highway to Samana. You will stay on this all the way until it ends just east of El Catey. Follow this road until you come thru Sanchez and take a hard left turn onto the road over the mountain into Las Terrenas. Look for the signs for Hotel Colibri in Las Terrenas. This will give you an idea where to turn to Las Terrenas. The turn can be missed and you will be heading towards Samana instead. When you head back to La Romana just backtrack the same way you came. Obviously you will need to go back thru Santo Domingo to get to La Romana. Unfortunately there are really no roads connecting east/west from Punta Cana to Las Terrenas and the Samana Peninsula so everything has to funnel back thru Santo Domingo. There is a small airline, that flys but it is not cheap. I believe it's approx. $150.00 USD one way from Punta Cana to El Portillo outside of Las Terrenas. Your best bet for a rental car would be check it out when you are in Punta Cana. I'm sure there are many available. Good luck.

S

t

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
LTSteve said:
From Punta Cana you will need to go back thru Santo Domingo, head towards Las Americas Airport and access the new highway to Samana.

You don't need to go through Santo Domingo. The turn-off to the highway is several kms before the city. It's on the right immediately after you go through the Las Americas toll area.

Obviously you will need to go back thru Santo Domingo to get to La Romana. Unfortunately there are really no roads connecting east/west from Punta Cana to Las Terrenas and the Samana Peninsula so everything has to funnel back thru Santo Domingo.

Ditto on the way back - when you reach the coastal highway you turn left to head eastwards to La Romana, without going through SD.

Maybe someone could post a map?

bay_kolio

Nov 5, 2010
Thank you
That's sound good. We have chance. We will ask. I have read that has some shuttles. May be can arrange one.

I sow some sites for rent a car and found that price is around $50 per day. That will be OK for my family if is true. Are you use some of this service? Can you recommend some company?

Have a nice day

Nikolay

sparky11867

Jan 5, 2008
I will be trying to go to the Peninsula from PC as well, and I thought there was a guagua to Sabana del Mar with a ferry that goes to Samana then a guagua to LT. Can anyone confirm? Also, how long is the guagua ride from Higuey to Sabana del Mar? Also, how do you pronounce "Higuey"?

Rebecca