Fresh Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

3speed

Jan 1, 2011
Anyone know a good spot to get good fresh fish in Cabarete? I have a BBQ at my condo and would like to Q up some fish...any suggestions?

Reactions: waytogo
Jan 17, 2009
Next to Janet's, right before you get to what used to be Severino's, there is a Pescaderia (it's a small alley-type entrance, walk towards the back).

Reactions: mike l

3speed

Jan 1, 2011
thanks so much for that...I'll be checking it out tomorrow. This forum has been such a wealth of information. Thank you!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
If you're on the beach during the day, there's a fisherman who brings his catch to sell, walking along the beach near the restaurants, usually around 3 or 4pm...ask someone in one of the restaurants. He sometimes has nice lobsters as well...

May 29, 2006
I recommend Parrot Fish if you can find it. It has one large plate bone that you can remove as soon as it's cooked. The ones in markets tend to be 12" or smaller. Lionfish is being caught for food now in some areas because it is an invasive species.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i shop in pescaderia in POP and i have never seen fresh fish there. all fish sold commercially is frozen at some point, i guess.
the only way to get it fresh is to catch fishermen with their daily pray. or catch some yourself. there are companies doing fishing trips all over the north coast. you get fun, some excitement and the very fresh victim.
i will add that all dominican fish is very tasty but in case you'd want to try the parrot fish it is called "cotorra".

cdnresident

Jan 7, 2010
la sirena en POP, there is a section beside the meat section with fresh fish on ice, not frozen and frozen.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, there are sold from ice but somehow i doubt they were not frozen prior to being presented there. but now you spiked my curiosity - i shall ask :)

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Anyone know a good spot to get good fresh fish in Cabarete? I have a BBQ at my condo and would like to Q up some fish...any suggestions?

If you come to Sosua you will find local fishermen walking around selling their catch of the day.

They have Tuna, Red Snapper, Dorado and other delicacies such as fresh crab and lobster however, come to think of it, I have not seen anyone selling fresh fish on the streets of Sosua in a while.

I sure hope that this will continue as it's part of the experience of living here.

Without it.....Booo

Reactions: waytogo

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I have seen him this week, so if you did not then maybe a bad day of fishing.

Bob K

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I recommend Parrot Fish if you can find it. It has one large plate bone that you can remove as soon as it's cooked. The ones in markets tend to be 12" or smaller. Lionfish is being caught for food now in some areas because it is an invasive species.

Wit all do respect...Parrotfish are know to carry ciguatera. They eat coral and they excrete "sand". Ciguatera is found in reef fish~grouper, snapper, barracuda, parrotfish, reef grunts etc~with parrotfish usually being the "accused cause" because they are the only coral eaters on the reef and the primary source of food for the other reef residents...

Ciguatera can kill you, although it usually works on the victims nervous system causing burning, tingling, itching etc that can last for years.

Lionfish is very good to eat. We're invaded here in the Florida Keys...and many dive shops are holding "rodeos" to kill as many per day as possible. They taste like grouper/hogfish...

Status
Not open for further replies.