Thread: Haitian history until 1804-dvds, books

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Haitian history until 1804-dvds, books

Starting from the history of indigenous population of the island, Tainos, until the republic of Haiti was established in 1804.

Please give the title, mini review(if possible), how you came across it, and whether it's worth OWNING, or renting/borrowing it from library of elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Egalite for All-Touussaint L'ouverture and the Haitian Revolution

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

^^

Égalité for All: Toussaint Louverture and the Haitian Revolution | PBS

pretty straight forward doc. with recreations of events ,definitely worth owning.

about 60 minutes long, don't remember whether I first saw it on pbs or the History channel

caught the last 3/4 of it and went ahead and ordered the dvd. version I have is in English & doesn't have French subtitles, which is a bit odd since I got it with full intentions of ordering future copies for family in Canada and France.

Lot of complex issues and factors surrounding the rebellion/revolution both on the island and in France and the doc does a decent job of telling the story.

Haitian and American scholars are featured throughout.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Haitian History

Also see: "Why the Cocks Fight: Dominicans, Haitians, and the Struggle for Hispaniola" Amazon.com: Why the Cocks Fight: Dominicans, Haitians, and the Struggle for Hispaniola (9780809097135): Michele Wucker: Books

Excellent narrative that melds the history of both cultures . . .

Peter
    Luquillo, PR