Visa for wife and step son - re: immigration canada

Ex-Canuck

Dec 30, 2010
So I have been living in the DR for 1 yr and decided I want to take my wife and step son to Canada as there is much more opportunity there for them. My question is what is the best/easiest way for her son. Currently on the birth certificate no father is listed. She does know the father, but he is a deadbeat who only sees his sone 2 days a year and doesn't pay any support. So should we leave the birth certificate blank and say she doesn't know who the father is, or get his name put on it and then I assume we would need his permission to take the boy out of the country, or put my name as the father. Not sure if this would require DNA tests or what not, just looking for the option with the least amount of hassels. I'm sure the father would sign anything, but if I don't have to go through that hassle, then that is the option I would prefer to take.

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
"or put my name as the father."

No way, then you will become liable for child support for a child that is not yours.

Leave blank

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
So I have been living in the DR for 1 yr and decided I want to take my wife and step son to Canada as there is much more opportunity there for them. My question is what is the best/easiest way for her son. Currently on the birth certificate no father is listed. She does know the father, but he is a deadbeat who only sees his sone 2 days a year and doesn't pay any support. So should we leave the birth certificate blank and say she doesn't know who the father is, or get his name put on it and then I assume we would need his permission to take the boy out of the country, or put my name as the father. Not sure if this would require DNA tests or what not, just looking for the option with the least amount of hassels. I'm sure the father would sign anything, but if I don't have to go through that hassle, then that is the option I would prefer to take.

I presume your wife has her visa. If not, expect a year or more for her's and another year or more for the kid and mucho $$$$$ in fees. Use the search function for the rest of the bad news. Still, the best of luck.

Reactions: Bronxboy

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Immigration has been known to make it difficult when a birth is not registered right away. They can ask for hospital records, school records, baptismal certificates etc as additional proof of identity.

Can I ask how old is your wife's son? It might look suspicious if you only get a birth certificate for this purpose and leave the fathers name blank. If you claim you are the father you better have passport stamps to prove you were in the country at the time that baby was conceived and proof of relationship documents that prove you were a couple at that time as well.

Please don't under estimate the embassy. They can smell fraud an ocean away...even when that isn't the intention.

Best advice when it come to Canadian immigration is HONESTY.

Have you started reading the Sponsor & Applicant's User Guides?

Guide 3900 - Sponsorship of a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child living outside Canada

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I presume your wife has her visa. If not, expect a year or more for her's and another year or more for the kid and mucho $$$$$ in fees. Use the search function for the rest of the bad news. Still, the best of luck.

If she doesn't have her visa then their applications would be processed together.

Current wait times are 9-18 months although a high number of cases are being processed around the 8 month mark at the moment.

Anticipate a year and anything less is lucky.;)

Reactions: Bronxboy

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Not so, When he does the paperwork, as the child has father unknown on the birth certificate, that's the way you fill in the paperwork ( father unknown). When you apply you sponsor both your wife and step-son. They will be processed at the same time. It will take as long as it will take. If you have all the proper paperwork it will take from 8 months to 18 months, the fees will be what Immigration says, other than that it will cost you for the medicals and the translation.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Not so, When he does the paperwork, as the child has father unknown on the birth certificate, that's the way you fill in the paperwork ( father unknown). When you apply you sponsor both your wife and step-son. They will be processed at the same time. It will take as long as it will take. If you have all the proper paperwork it will take from 8 months to 18 months, the fees will be what Immigration says, other than that it will cost you for the medicals and the translation.
Time will tell ;)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Well, I've done it, have you? You are correct though, time will tell.
No my wife had Canadian Citizenship long before we met. Just remembering some friends that went through it and it took a long time. Hopefully the OP has the good fortune you had.

Ex-Canuck

Dec 30, 2010
Well I guess the best way is to leave it blank. her son is 5 and the birth was registered here, she already has his birth certificate. I just didn't know if leaving it blank was alright. I am anticipating waiting a year or so for their visas, no biggie, I already live here with them, so we don't have to be apart for any length of time, save for 2 months or so to work and make some $$$ in Canada. Job prospects here aren't the greatest :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well I guess the best way is to leave it blank. her son is 5 and the birth was registered here, she already has his birth certificate. I just didn't know if leaving it blank was alright. I am anticipating waiting a year or so for their visas, no biggie, I already live here with them, so we don't have to be apart for any length of time, save for 2 months or so to work and make some $$$ in Canada. Job prospects here aren't the greatest :)

If you leave it blank they (immigration) are going to ask questions.

Ex-Canuck

Dec 30, 2010
So if she puts the biological fathers name on the birth certificate can I assume that we would need his permission in writing for him to leave the country, and would I need this paper for when I submit the paperwork to immigrations, or only upon actually departing the country?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So if she puts the biological fathers name on the birth certificate can I assume that we would need his permission in writing for him to leave the country, and would I need this paper for when I submit the paperwork to immigrations, or only upon actually departing the country?

Exactly. If the birth Certificate has the father blank leave it that way.

irateskateboards

Oct 4, 2006
Boca Chica, Dominican Republic
"or put my name as the father."

No way, then you will become liable for child support for a child that is not yours.

Leave blank

the state wont let you put your name on the acta de nacimiento.when i went to do the same in la junta en 27 de febrero in santo domingo they seperated me and my wife.bombarded me with questions and penalties if i falsified the birth certificates.said dna samples to prove i'm the father was mandatory.
dont try it.i've already been through it.
you have to do the whole 9 yards and go through the whole adoption process.it's long and expensive.get the right lawyer like Mr. Guzman to help you.no mickey mouse lawyers.it's only goin to cost you more!
good luck!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
You would need the letter of permission when you submit the application and when you travel out of the DR.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You would need the letter of permission when you submit the application and when you travel out of the DR.

Not if father is unknown ( on the birth Certificate) It seems the sperm donor in this case has little or no attachment to his son. If the father is "unknown" there would be no need for a letter of permission. This was my experience.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
His question was if the biological dads name was listed on the birth certificate would he need the letter of permission.

The answer to the OP's question is yes.

If the birth certificate says father unknown and immigration doesn't require anything more then obviously no letter is required.......who would write it? LOL!