What happened in Sosua?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab2000

Nov 7, 2010
What EXACTLY happened between Sosua and Cabarete the previous night?

So many dramatic rumours so far.

Jan 17, 2009
Maybe it was this huge traffic accident with four deaths reported, head on collision, two motorcycles. It's on the main page of Kabarete.net.

blacklilah

Jan 25, 2008
It was an American man

Not sure about how many deaths, I've heard 4 or 5, but the foreigner was an American (young guy too). Very sad.

asp44

Jan 22, 2008
Not sure of the nationality of the guy you are speaking about but I know that on one of the bikes were 3 young Dominicans around the age of 15 returning from a school class.
Very sad for everyone involved

ab2000

Nov 7, 2010
Not sure of the nationality of the guy you are speaking about but I know that on one of the bikes were 3 young Dominicans around the age of 15 returning from a school class.
Very sad for everyone involved

And a Canadien William Stepi was not among them?

Jan 17, 2009
What I can't understand is how two motorcycles how two motorcycles crash head on. It's beyond my comprehension. (that's what the kabarete.net article says: "dos motocicletas colisionaron de frente")

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What I can't understand is how two motorcycles how two motorcycles crash head on. It's beyond my comprehension. (that's what the kabarete.net article says: "dos motocicletas colisionaron de frente")

Beside not wearing helmets, it is probable that at least one of the motorcycles didn't have lights. I've seen unlighted motorcycles swooping in and out of traffic on dark roads at night.. The way many of the bikes are operated it makes you wonder why there aren't even more deaths than there already are.

Jetblue Flight 811

Oct 17, 2010
very bad driving

Are you kidding??? Have any of you ever driven in DR??? I just got back from sosua yesterday, and i had overheard my "novias" mother talking to her about it when i was with her Friday morning and she said it was a black gringo with moto grande. Needless to say those 1100cc superbikes can get up to 100mph really quickly; factor that with nighttime driving where, when people in front of you are moving too slow, people begin to believe that the double-yellow highway line is non-existant, and you got a recipe for disaster.

Personally i think driving in DR is extremely hazardous, even more-so than smoking. Granted while i was only there for a week and was in a car only 4 times, from what ive witnessed, id rather walk. On the way from the airport the taxi driver went the wrong way out of the airport, then he kept honking at every motoconcho so that he would have enough room to pass, all-the-while riding RIGHT ON THEIR ARSE. He did rolling stops at stop signs, i had to tell him to calm the F*** down i dont wanna die. Also i met some guy who had visited DR for years and he took me to some place called Crystals in Puerta Plata, and he went over the yellow line so many times i had lost count. Additionally a taxi-cab driver was doing the same thing! Also the whole week i was there not ONE motoconcho driver had a helmet.....sad.

Reactions: waytogo

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
This happened in Cabarete...not in Sosua, near the entrance to Encuentro. A Foreigner and his female companion (reportedly Haitian) on one bike, three male Dominican teenagers on the other, and yes, they were returning from school. I was told it took the authorities until the next day to find the arms of the female passenger. This was not very late at night, and on a clear, straight stretch of road. Unbelievable....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, the report says 10pm which makes no difference really sice in DR it gets pitch black at about 7pm. it was dark and if any of the motos had no light it was as visible as a black cat in a basement.
still, how come everyone involved has died? they must have been going very fast...
just last week i had a little brush with a camion in cabarete. i kinda do not mind driving in DR but i hate the motos and i am always worried i hit one of them morons :(

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
well, the report says 10pm which makes no difference really sice in DR it gets pitch black at about 7pm. it was dark and if any of the motos had no light it was as visible as a black cat in a basement.
still, how come everyone involved has died? they must have been going very fast...
just last week i had a little brush with a camion in cabarete. i kinda do not mind driving in DR but i hate the motos and i am always worried i hit one of them morons :(

I was a moron for taking my scooter to cabarete today but lived to tell about it...what a beautiful day !

Not too often is the ocean as calm as a gringo after a night with an expectation on vacation !

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
Are you kidding??? Have any of you ever driven in DR??? I just got back from sosua yesterday, and i had overheard my "novias" mother talking to her about it when i was with her Friday morning and she said it was a black gringo with moto grande. Needless to say those 1100cc superbikes can get up to 100mph really quickly; factor that with nighttime driving where, when people in front of you are moving too slow, people begin to believe that the double-yellow highway line is non-existant, and you got a recipe for disaster.

Personally i think driving in DR is extremely hazardous, even more-so than smoking. Granted while i was only there for a week and was in a car only 4 times, from what ive witnessed, id rather walk. On the way from the airport the taxi driver went the wrong way out of the airport, then he kept honking at every motoconcho so that he would have enough room to pass, all-the-while riding RIGHT ON THEIR ARSE. He did rolling stops at stop signs, i had to tell him to calm the F*** down i dont wanna die. Also i met some guy who had visited DR for years and he took me to some place called Crystals in Puerta Plata, and he went over the yellow line so many times i had lost count. Additionally a taxi-cab driver was doing the same thing! Also the whole week i was there not ONE motoconcho driver had a helmet.....sad.

so, did YOU drive at all while you were there?

i've driven several times in puerta plata, sosua, and cabarete.

i've driven a van, an suv, a sedan, and a scooter... all without incident. you just have to reverse your driving manners (if you're from america) and drive offensively instead of defensively.

i've riden a scooter from cofresi to samana, just for an afternoon cruise. i rode the scooter from puerta plata to sosua.. in the dark, while it was raining. wait... wait... and without a helmet or leather jacket, or even jeans or closed shoes for that matter.

the key is paying attention to your surroundings.

but i also ride a scooter and a motorcycle at home as well, and without helmet...

i agree the roads CAN be dangerous.... and the other drivers can be dangerous.... but the risks are GREATLY lowered when at least one party is paying attention.

Jetblue Flight 811

Oct 17, 2010
so, did YOU drive at all while you were there?

i've driven several times in puerta plata, sosua, and cabarete.

i've driven a van, an suv, a sedan, and a scooter... all without incident. you just have to reverse your driving manners (if you're from america) and drive offensively instead of defensively.

i've riden a scooter from cofresi to samana, just for an afternoon cruise. i rode the scooter from puerta plata to sosua.. in the dark, while it was raining. wait... wait... and without a helmet or leather jacket, or even jeans or closed shoes for that matter.

the key is paying attention to your surroundings.

but i also ride a scooter and a motorcycle at home as well, and without helmet...

i agree the roads CAN be dangerous.... and the other drivers can be dangerous.... but the risks are GREATLY lowered when at least one party is paying attention.

nah i didnt drive and in all my future visits i dont plan on driving, but from what i witnessed i dont think ill ever drive. And are you kidding when you say drive aggressively? FOR WHAT? Where are you in a hurry to? Did you see the accidents on Kabarete.net?

The double yellow line is there for a reason, and, just like in america, sometimes it doesnt matter how good YOUR driving is, its that you have to be aware of OTHER drivers.

BTW, do people drive drunk in DR? I havent been there enough to speculate.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
nah i didnt drive and in all my future visits i dont plan on driving, but from what i witnessed i dont think ill ever drive. And are you kidding when you say drive aggressively? FOR WHAT? Where are you in a hurry to? Did you see the accidents on Kabarete.net?

The double yellow line is there for a reason, and, just like in america, sometimes it doesnt matter how good YOUR driving is, its that you have to be aware of OTHER drivers.

BTW, do people drive drunk in DR? I havent been there enough to speculate.

Is this guy kidding? LOL

In the DR nobody follows the rule and yes a lot of them drive drunk. But you will be surprised and how few deathly incidents happens in the DR on a per capita basis. Moto driving is another story tough...

Status
Not open for further replies.