Where to stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bday

Jan 24, 2011
The wife and I are looking to visit in Feb and need some advice on where to stay. Ive stayed at a Riu in PP and it was great but want to stay some where else this time. The wife wants to snorkel and probably go to the ocean world. Where would the best snorkeling be? We prefer AI. Would consider most anything from Luperon over to Cabarete or further away.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Whilst I don't agree with only staying in AI's, I can't criticise, as that's how we first discovered the DR. Try the Iberostar Costa Dorada ... great food .. good accomodation .. and, when you get chance, go out of the entrance & across the road into the little Plaza. There you will find the office of a guy called Martin Espinall (try google). We stayed at the ICD for 6 years running (before venturing out into the "real" Dominican Republic) but found Martin to be knowledgeable, reasonable priced and excellent when it came to organising trips. A lot better that the on-site reps and we used him every year from organising our excursions to picking us up from the airport.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
Whilst I don't agree with only staying in AI's, I can't criticise, as that's how we first discovered the DR. Try the Iberostar Costa Dorada ... great food .. good accomodation .. and, when you get chance, go out of the entrance & across the road into the little Plaza. There you will find the office of a guy called Martin Espinall (try google). We stayed at the ICD for 6 years running (before venturing out into the "real" Dominican Republic) but found Martin to be knowledgeable, reasonable priced and excellent when it came to organising trips. A lot better that the on-site reps and we used him every year from organising our excursions to picking us up from the airport.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

So, where do you stay now? Just curious cause I have always done AI and this feb I am going to venture out and get a hotel and eat at local restaurants.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
If you're interested in staying at an AI in POP, Playa Dorada has a selection of nice hotels. I've been to Gran Ventana, Victoria and Barcelo. My favorite of the 3 is Gran Ventana, the hotel is very nice, has lots of choices re food options and has good nightly entertainment etc. Victoria is the sister hotel and if you stay there, you get access to both resorts and all the restaurants between both etc. Victoria is smaller and is not located on the beach, it's on the golf course and mainly caters to older clientele but does themed nights in their restaurant and they have a great tex mex beach restaurant. Barcelo was nice but I did not care much for the food. As far as snorkelling goes, I've taken the catamaran excursion offered by Avlav tours twice now from Playa Dorada to Sosusa. They take you out from morning to afternoon, you get lunch and drinks included. They take you to 2 spots for snorkelling and you get to feed the fish etc. If you go to the plaza located in Playa Dorada complex, go to the Avlav counter, there's an American girl who works there. She'll give you a price of $60 but you can get her down to $50. The sharks who try to sell them to you on the beaches or at the hotels charge as much as $90 for the same trip because of the commission. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.