Why don't dominicans like cumbia

colombianLisa

Jan 13, 2011
I have noticed this on all my trips to Dominican. That extends to the entire spanish-speaking Caribbean.

While dominicans do appreciate a good vallenato, Puertoricans and Cubans couldn't give a damn about cumbia or vallenato, unless perhaps, we are talking about Carlos Vives.

This contrasts heavily with Mexico, El Salvador, Peru, Ecuador, Argentina, Chile; nations that have adopted cumbia and given it their own spin.

Why is that? Is cumbia too damn slow and boring to caribbean ears? How can that be, cumbia is caribbean. Is it lack of marketing? Or could it be that mexicans and argentines like it because it doesn't seem to be that hard to dance? :cheeky:

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I have noticed this on all my trips to Dominican. That extends to the entire spanish-speaking Caribbean.

While dominicans do appreciate a good vallenato, Puertoricans and Cubans couldn't give a damn about cumbia or vallenato, unless perhaps, we are talking about Carlos Vives.

This contrasts heavily with Mexico, El Salvador, Peru, Ecuador, Argentina, Chile; nations that have adopted cumbia and given it their own spin.

Why is that? Is cumbia too damn slow and boring to caribbean ears? How can that be, cumbia is caribbean. Is it lack of marketing? Or could it be that mexicans and argentines like it because it doesn't seem to be that hard to dance? :cheeky:

It is both lack of marketing and lack of good Cumbia singers.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
my dominican wife says she doesn't even know what is cumbia,,,,we just had a party at my place the only thing i can remember about the music was that it had to make everybody dance..............if it was slow it was skipped over....

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
First Cumbia hit in DR for ages:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jAq2J22GTFQ" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Ezequiel hit the nail.

colombianLisa

Jan 13, 2011
But Vallenato is Bachata? Only that is the term from Colombia, heard few years before, that all good Bachata hits are made from old Vallenato's hits. And both are sad music from the beach with three guitars.

Well I don't see similarity between Bachata and Vallenato. Is there any old Bachatero around?

No, vallenato is a music that was born in the valledupar region of the colombian caribbean, very different from Bachata. Most bachata hits are vallenato covers though.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Plenty of good cumbia singers in Colombia, just not lately.

But not as good as Merengue, Bachata and Salsa singers. (And nobody know them, Carlos Vives is the exception). Lack of marketing.

You have to keep in mind that the three Spanish speaking Caribbean Islands (Cuba, Dominican Rep, and Puerto Rico) are world super powers when it comes to music, and world class musicians. That's why it is so hard for foreign genre music to penetrate.

colombianLisa

Jan 13, 2011
But not as good as Merengue, Bachata and Salsa singers. (And nobody know them, Carlos Vives is the exception). Lack of marketing.

You have to keep in mind that the three Spanish speaking Caribbean Islands (Cuba, Dominican Rep, and Puerto Rico) are world super powers when it comes to music, and world class musicians. That's why it is so hard for foreign genre music to penetrate.

Of course there are, good is a very subjective term, I would say los diablitos de colombia are millions of light years more talented than Monchy y alejandra (Monchy y Alejandra got famous doing Diablitos covers). You must not be familiar with cumbia if you don't think there are talented singers. Now, marketing, that part of it I agree with you.

I also agree it is hard to penetrate the caribbean markets, especially Puerto Rico. However, Mexico is also a musical and cultural power of latin america, far greater than all the others, yet they embraced cumbia. Mimi Ibarra is a colombian salsa singer and she is bigger in the DR than any dominican salsero, so the market is not impenetrable, actually colombian salsa is pretty well listened to in the DR. It must boil down to genre, rhythm....

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Of course there are, good is a very subjective term, I would say los diablitos de colombia are millions of light years more talented than Monchy y alejandra (Monchy y Alejandra got famous doing Diablitos covers). You must not be familiar with cumbia if you don't think there are talented singers. Now, marketing, that part of it I agree with you.

I also agree it is hard to penetrate the caribbean markets, especially Puerto Rico. However, Mexico is also a musical and cultural power of latin america, far greater than all the others, yet they embraced cumbia. Mimi Ibarra is a colombian salsa singer and she is bigger in the DR than any dominican salsero, so the market is not impenetrable, actually colombian salsa is pretty well listened to in the DR. It must boil down to genre, rhythm....

Colombian Salsa is the no.1 Salsa listened in the DR right now hands down.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
First Cumbia hit in DR for ages:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jAq2J22GTFQ" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Ezequiel hit the nail.
That rhythm is a modern Merengue.

JJ

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

The problem is that not even "El Diablo" knows who are "Los Diablitos de Colombia", and everybody knows Monchy y Alejandra.

The way I see it is that "Los Diablito de Colombia" needs to thanks Monchy y Alejandra for popularizing their musics.

However, Mexico is also a musical and cultural power of latin america, far greater than all the others, yet they embraced cumbia.

Cumbia dancing is very similar to what they dance in M?xico (M?sica Norte?a and Quebradita), I can't tell the different, maybe that's why is so popular there.

Plus Mexican dance music is not appealing to other Latino outside of Mexico, compare to Merengue, Bachata and Salsa.

Mimi Ibarra is a colombian salsa singer and she is bigger in the DR than any dominican salsero, so the market is not impenetrable, actually colombian salsa is pretty well listened to in the DR. It must boil down to genre, rhythm....

She is very popular because she sings what I had said before, the established music of the of the three caribbean island Merengue, Bachata and Salsa.

Does she sing Cumbia? If she does how popular is her Cumbia in the DR?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
M?sica Norte?a and Quebradita, never heard nothing so ugly in my life.
Espinosa Paz is a real Mexican idol, any time I listend this guy crying I tune a different radio station.
I like Mexican Rancheras and Romantic music, but the above mentioned.... que pariguayos.

JJ

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
M?sica Norte?a and Quebradita, never heard nothing so ugly in my life.
Espinosa Paz is a real Mexican idol, any time I listend this guy crying I tune a different radio station.
I like Mexican Rancheras and Romantic music, but the above mentioned.... que pariguayos.

JJ

That's why I don't listen to Spanish music stations here in Atlanta, because 70% of the songs that they play is "M?sica Norte?a and Quebradita".

colombianLisa

Jan 13, 2011
1) Are you kidding me, you really don't seem to understand the genre at all. Cumbia is absolutely nothing like that nortena abomination. Cumbia is a fusion of African rhythms, Colombia was the port of entry of African slaves into Nueva Granada - it was the music the african slaves sang to express their sorrow. There isn't a trace of that in the music of northern mexico, 0 african influence.

2) Los diablitos de Colombia, you personally might not know them by name, but who really hasn't heard Los Caminos de La Vida, my dominican acquaintances have. I wouldn't say everybody knows Monchy y Alejandra, unless you talk to dominican and puerto rican youths. The point is, if they had the talent and creativity to compose their own ish, they wouldn't be doing covers.

3) Mexican dance music, what do you mean by that? If you are talking about spanish pop music/pop culture, Mexico, Puerto Rico and Colombia (in that order) and perhaps Spain and Argentina to a lesser degree dominate that sphere at the moment. Now if you are talking about quebradita and narco corridos, I'd rather have a root canal without anesthesia than dance to that crap, I don't think anybody outside of nothern mexico can tolerate it. BUT, here is the kicker.... nortena music makes at least 20x in record sales than salsa or merengue ever will... bigger population, bigger buying power. Just look at the grammys... merengue and salsa are dying genres... sad but true.

4) Mimi Ibarra does not sing Merengue, just salsa, salsa has been huge in Colombia since the days of La Fania in the 60s and 70s.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Here in Santiago they have radio stations that play balada and rock from all of the Spanish speaking countries. Of course bachata and reggaeton are dominating still.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

I think because only Fulanito can get away with using an accordian, all else(mostly Mexicans and Colombians) sound corny. :)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
why the need to classify so much, cant you like some of each depending on what it actually sounds like

May 29, 2006
Salsa and merengue dying? I don't think so. I think in 20 years, people will still be listening to Salsa standards, though merengue seems to be evolving by mixing with other styles.

I think it's great that songs can be reinvented in different styles of music. Raulin has done a couple Jorge Celedon covers and of the two styles, I prefer the bachata much more; I'm just not a fan of accordians. A good song like "Quiero Saber de Ti" can work in many different genres.

colombianLisa

Jan 13, 2011
Salsa and merengue dying? I don't think so. I think in 20 years, people will still be listening to Salsa standards, though merengue seems to be evolving by mixing with other styles.

I think it's great that songs can be reinvented in different styles of music. Raulin has done a couple Jorge Celedon covers and of the two styles, I prefer the bachata much more; I'm just not a fan of accordians. A good song like "Quiero Saber de Ti" can work in many different genres.

Well, as a hardcore salsa lover I wish what you were saying it's true, but I know movers and shakers in salsa world who give me the inside scoop, the genre is not making any $$$. Yes, there will always be the people who listen to the old classics, but tell me what worthwhile salsa is coming out nowadays. Zip.

Last edited: