Dominican boyfriend wants to visit Canada

montrealNH

Feb 24, 2010
I met my boyfriend in the DR in september 2009. I live in Canada and have been travelling there to be with him. Just spent 4 months there. Now I would like for him to come visit me. I have been reading some past posts about getting a visitor's visa to Canada and I almost have tears to my eyes. I am so sad to see it is so difficult. We honestly didn't think it would be complicated. Here is his situation: 26 years old, father of 3 children under 7 yeas old, owns a tire-changing company, lots of family already living in Canada (father, 5 half-brothers, an aunt, a second cousin), not a lot of money. I was wondering if someone lends him a large sum to deposit in his account, would the immigration agent notice it? Is his situation most likely or not to get him accepted? I know we must prove to Immigration Canada that he will go back home. Does the fact that he has 3 young children work in his favor? just want him to be able to visit me! Any support/experiences will be appreciated.
Thank you

Mar 1, 2009
You need a good lawyer because I'm an American citizen of Dominican descent and my girl lives in Ontario. Everytime I cross the border, they hassle me for about 30 minutes. We showed them a ring that I bought her and we (fools in love), told them we wanted to get married (eventually, of course). So they got all funny and questioned us separately and stuff. So I hate to say it but Canadian immigration laws have only gotten stiffer. Plus I have been a frequent visitor to Canada, Quebec for the past 10 years, TABERNAC!!!!!!!

Mexicans used to be able to just fly into Canada, the doors for them have also been shut.
But you never know so hopefully someone will have a different opinion.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
why hasn't his family who are already in canada not helped to sponsor him?
they would have a better chance than you of getting him into the country....
hope things work out and you find your way through this situation

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
You need a good lawyer because I'm an American citizen of Dominican descent and my girl lives in Ontario. Everytime I cross the border, they hassle me for about 30 minutes. We showed them a ring that I bought her and we (fools in love), told them we wanted to get married (eventually, of course). So they got all funny and questioned us separately and stuff. So I hate to say it but Canadian immigration laws have only gotten stiffer. Plus I have been a frequent visitor to Canada, Quebec for the past 10 years, TABERNAC!!!!!!!

Mexicans used to be able to just fly into Canada, the doors for them have also been shut.

Thirty minutes! They must have really liked you. My last trip to Canada was before the war (on personal liberty), and they emptied the car, even took out the spare tire and back seat.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You guys must be shifty looking , my wife's cousins come up from Boston and Dallas and are never hassled. For the OP, you can try but will most likely not suceed. My wife's brother is in his 40's, never married, no kids, been in the same job for 15 years, own's a business and several houses, has money in the bank and he was turned down because they said he didn't have strong enough ties to the DR. You can try, it's only money.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
You do not need a good lawyer to apply for a visitor visa. (US/CAN border customs has no bearing on her question).

The odds are not great, however, for the first time in years they are approving more TRV applications. I know people who have recently been approved that do not have a lot of money or ties to the country.

If you have the money to try then go for it.
It is still a long shot and you should be prepared for them to say no.

SBT

Jan 5, 2010
why hasn't his family who are already in canada not helped to sponsor him?
they would have a better chance than you of getting him into the country....
hope things work out and you find your way through this situation

If he's 26 and has children, his family cant sponsor him to Canada. Family sponsorship does not extend to siblings - and if it's his parent's there - they cant sponsor him as they can only sponsor a dependant child, which translates to a child under 22 or a child continuously enrolled in studies since turning 22.

Also having family there WONT help his chances of getting a visitor visa - it shows he has ties to Canada, that could be a reason for him to want to stay!

Reactions: sangria

montrealNH

Feb 24, 2010
If he's 26 and has children, his family cant sponsor him to Canada. Family sponsorship does not extend to siblings - and if it's his parent's there - they cant sponsor him as they can only sponsor a dependant child, which translates to a child under 22 or a child continuously enrolled in studies since turning 22.

Also having family there WONT help his chances of getting a visitor visa - it shows he has ties to Canada, that could be a reason for him to want to stay!

So who should help him with the visitor visa, a girlfriend or brother? Who represents less ties? I was thinking of having his 28 year-old brother do it, since it wouldn't be too hard to separate from a brother (as opposed to a girlfriend), right?

montrealNH

Feb 24, 2010
The odds are not great, however, for the first time in years they are approving more TRV applications. I know people who have recently been approved that do not have a lot of money or ties to the country.

If you have the money to try then go for it.
It is still a long shot and you should be prepared for them to say no.

What is a TRV application?

emj_08

Feb 9, 2006
Dumping a large sum of money in his account won't work. They look for that kind of thing, and what they really want is a respectable amount of money with many transactions, proof that it was saved up, is being used and replenished, etc.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
TRV = Temporary Resident Visa (previously known as a visitor visa)

Anyone can give a letter of invitation.

Odds of success are the same whether the reason for the trip is family or a girlfriend.

Mar 1, 2009
Don't put money into his account!!!!!! By the way I recalll it was an hour of and 30 minutes, they did like us but it was unpleasant, very unpleasant.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Too much info!

Why would you go into that kind of detail when crossing the border?

Answer what you are asked

what country are you a citizen of? America
what is the purpose of your visit to Canada? visit my girlfriend- I'm assuming your girlfriend is Canadian or a legal resident of Canada?

To the OP, do not put money into his account that will spell trouble right there. He will either get it or not no matter what you do so give it a try.

Reactions: Bronxboy

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Confused....Montreal do you live in Canada or in the DR? Your other post says you live close to Las Americas airport....this thread says you live in Canada...which is it?

If you live in the DR with your boyfriend and request a TRV to bring him home to meet your family, your chances are better than if you live in Canada and invite him to visit you.

You have even better odds if you can prove you have a job there and that you both have a reason to return together.

montrealNH

Feb 24, 2010
Confused....Montreal do you live in Canada or in the DR? Your other post says you live close to Las Americas airport....this thread says you live in Canada...which is it?

If you live in the DR with your boyfriend and request a TRV to bring him home to meet your family, your chances are better than if you live in Canada and invite him to visit you.

You have even better odds if you can prove you have a job there and that you both have a reason to return together.

Thank you to everyone who answered. To clarify things, I just spent 4 months in the DR. I came back last week. So I am living in Montreal, Canada. The other post was in reference to where I stay in the DR when I am there. Legally I live in Canada.
And no, I will not deposit money in his account, but someone else will. If we don't, the account will be empty ... hahaha

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
MontrealNH,

My boyfriend was approved for a visitors visa to Canada in October. He came with me over Christmas to visit my family and spend the holidays with us. I, however, live in DR and so I think that greatly improved his chances. He had a letter of invitation from my parents, a copy of one of their bank statements, a letter from his boss, and I also included a letter from my boss to prove that I work/live here in DR as well. He didn't have a lot of money saved in an account, but like I said, my parents included a bank statement with sufficient funds. Also in his application we made it clear that I live in DR, so that at least that wouldn't be a reason for him not to return to DR...
When we came into Canada immigration simply asked him why he was in Canada and that was it. They gave me more of a hard time, haha, but there were no problems.
It would have been a lot better if he had applied while you were in DR, although if you weren't going to be returning to a job then I guess that wouldn't have even mattered.
I say just try for it. If you don't try you definitely won't get the visa. Maybe you'll get lucky too.

montrealNH

Feb 24, 2010
MontrealNH,

He had a letter of invitation from my parents, a copy of one of their bank statements, a letter from his boss, and I also included a letter from my boss to prove that I work/live here in DR as well. He didn't have a lot of money saved in an account, but like I said, my parents included a bank statement with sufficient funds.

Thanks for your reply. I don't understand how your parents included a copy of THEIR bank statement. The forms require that the applicant provides a copy of his own bank statement. How did it help that your parents, who are hosting him, have money?

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
In their letter of invitation they stated that my bf and I have been together for x amount of years, that I live here in DR, that he would be accompanying me for the Christmas holidays, and that they would cover necessary transportation and accommodation costs, which to prove there was sufficient funds, a copy of their bank statement. The more that can be included proving proof that there's money for a return ticket as well as ties to the country, maybe even a character reference, the better. They don't ASK for additional bank statements, but if there is someone else who is providing transportation money (ie: a flight BACK to DR) then it should be included.
Some random person looks at the application given probably for about 20 seconds, and if something of quality or proof that they will definitely be returning and have the funds to return doesn't catch their eye in a few seconds, then the application will be tossed into the denied pile along with hundreds of others.
If it is simply your boyfriend who will be funding EVERYTHING (accommodation, transportation, food, etc etc) then it should only be his bank statement given, but if there are other people helping (his brother or whoever) then a letter of invite as well as proof of money available should be included by that person.
But again, I believe the primary reason we got the visa is because I live here in DR, and showed proof of employment from my work. Even though I wasn't the one applying for the visa, and we're not married and so my information wasn't needed on the application, I still included that stuff because I knew it would only help his case, not hurt it.

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
In their letter of invitation they stated that my bf and I have been together for x amount of years, that I live here in DR, that he would be accompanying me for the Christmas holidays, and that they would cover necessary transportation and accommodation costs, which to prove there was sufficient funds, a copy of their bank statement. The more that can be included proving proof that there's money for a return ticket as well as ties to the country, maybe even a character reference, the better. They don't ASK for additional bank statements, but if there is someone else who is providing transportation money (ie: a flight BACK to DR) then it should be included.
Some random person looks at the application given probably for about 20 seconds, and if something of quality or proof that they will definitely be returning and have the funds to return doesn't catch their eye in a few seconds, then the application will be tossed into the denied pile along with hundreds of others.
If it is simply your boyfriend who will be funding EVERYTHING (accommodation, transportation, food, etc etc) then it should only be his bank statement given, but if there are other people helping (his brother or whoever) then a letter of invite as well as proof of money available should be included by that person.
But again, I believe the primary reason we got the visa is because I live here in DR, and showed proof of employment from my work. Even though I wasn't the one applying for the visa, and we're not married and so my information wasn't needed on the application, I still included that stuff because I knew it would only help his case, not hurt it.

How long did it take you from start to finish?

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
The embassy is open from 8-11am Mon-Thurs. You are told to come back the next day to pick up your passport, and either you will have a visa inside or you will get your passport back with a rejection letter.
We applied on a Thursday, and the Monday was Canadian thanksgiving, so the office was closed, so he didn't go back for his passport until the following Tuesday after the holiday. But it should take only 1 day.