One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
TOLL CHARGE COMPANY TO HANDLE HIGHWAYS FOR 30 YEARS
The State concessions for road repairs
ROAD PROJECT INVOLVES Viadom FOR $ 471.9 MILLION

Ram?n P?rez Reyes
Santo Domingo

The Government will lease on a collection of tolls to a private company, which in turn will ensure the rehabilitation and maintenance of major highways in the country.

To that end, the Executive submitted to the Senate yesterday the Administrative Concession Contract Toll Scheme, signed between the Dominican State and the Dominican Consortium of Concession Ways(Dovicon) for design work, financing, construction, operation and maintenance of the Viadom Road Project in the amount of U.S. $ 471.9 million.

Public Works Minister Victor Diaz Rua, was the person who negotiated the contract on 20th January, which includes the rehabilitation, operation and maintenance of the Duarte highway from Santo Domingo to the south entrance of Santiago de los Caballeros in a stretch of 127 kilometers.

Also the rehabilitation, operation and maintenance of Highway Six of November, about 10 km away, and the third phase for the rehabilitation of the Santiago-Navarrete and maintenance of leading from Navarrete to Puerto Plata, about 44 miles.

The contract also involves construction, operation and maintenance of the Ring of Santiago, with a length of about 24 kilometers. Includes widening to four lanes, rehabilitation and operation of the Puerto Plata-Navarrete highway.

The sixth stage of the agreement includes the operation and maintenance of the San Cristobal-Bani highway, on the understanding that the dealer will have no obligations of design, funding and / or construction, in connection with this phase.

The period of execution and construction of the project is four years and 6 months and the operation and maintenance of 30 years.

(+)
COMPANIES Prequalified
On October 1, 2008, Diaz R?a said nine construction companies, domestic and foreign, pre-qualified to participate in the tender. He explained that serve to concession Viadom 270 kilometers of roads, and would cost about $ 400 million. Reported that these companies were the Brazilian CCR and Construction Company Awards Rodov?a Odebrecht, and Latin American Holdings Rodov?a and Entrepreneurship, S. AConstructora MC, Colombian and Dominican capital.

In addition, Coviandes, S, A-Pisa, SA-Corficolombiana, SA-EDL LTD., CEI, SA, Gomez Cajiao & Associates, MNB, S., Castellanos A and Vergel, Colombia, Dominican and Highways (autodom) of Colombian and Dominican capital, among others.

El Estado concesionar? reparaci?n de autopistas - List?n Diario Digital

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Nothing that should surprise anybody here, as I told you looooooong ago that this was going to happen. All major roads in the DR will be place under private hands.

Next will be the bridges...

Parking enforcement will fall under private operators...

Water, garbage pick-up, sewage, etc... will be on a private system, you pay and they carry out the work. You don't, they'll bypass do or give you a thing.

Even public lighting will be on a private system, where hoods will be packed into associations. The cost of road maintenance, etc... will fall to the residents of each "HOA" block.

Nothing here to be surprise you as "I TOLD YOU SO!".

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Could be good news

This could be good news provided:

1. The part of the budget pertaining to road management will be scrapped and all it's employees sacked

2. The money received will go towards paying off debt or invested in infrastructural projects (not malls please)

If not the DR populace will be paying twice for a roadnet they've already funded once.

The same goes for outsourcing all the other services you mentioned; only if the govt budget for the outsourced services is scrapped and the govt budget dimished is this a good thing.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Hi Pichardo,
I don't think we ever had a conversation but I read your posts with interest.
I lived for a long time in France where many of the major roads are in private company's hands, but I must admit that the roads were always first class and repairs were done correctly and rapidly. True, for the long haul stretches the transit is not cheap but for value for money? Very good.
The difference is that with a structured system, there is accountability, without this there will be blatant abuse.
It is necessary to achieve accountability before placing assets into state hands.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This could be good news provided:

1. The part of the budget pertaining to road management will be scrapped and all it's employees sacked

2. The money received will go towards paying off debt or invested in infrastructural projects (not malls please)

If not the DR populace will be paying twice for a roadnet they've already funded once.

The same goes for outsourcing all the other services you mentioned; only if the govt budget for the outsourced services is scrapped and the govt budget dimished is this a good thing.
Exactly.

But do you really think they will give up one peso?

I'd be semi-OK if they diverted the $$$ 100% toward edumacation...

User fees rock! Pay for what you consume!

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
I think this is a very good idea as long as the budgets that were being provided to the local governments for the same work are eliminated so that money might actually go to something useful.

It is a shame they are not privatizing the electrical supply system as well.

During his first government, Leonel privatized the electrical supply system and the donkey, sorry for offending the donkey, I mean Hipolito made it public again.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Gee, I wonder who will get the concession? Hummmm, do you think they might have a connection with, oh, I don't know, maybe some high-ranking gubmint official? Duh, do yuh think???

And this is like the fourth time this has been announced, and represents less than 25% of the 990 kilometer "promised", by you-know-who...

Just one more rip off...

HB