Aaah, Dominican Politics!!!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6Xs4pAcbgd8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unfortunately, his party and his people are just not fit to govern. He is a really nice guy, but in order to be Prez, you need more than that.

I do not see anyone on the political horizon that will make a good candidate...

My sis-in-law from Venezuela says she sees a lot of "chavismo" in Leonel and his claque.

Oh my...

HB

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
You'll never see Leonel doing that, that's for sure!
Yes he did, during the political campaign of 1996 I saw him walking on Santiago streets shaking hands of people and making promises that he never accomplished.
Yo fui uno de los que cai en ese gancho the day he was standing up in front Edificio Serulle on Calle 16 de Agosto, he gave me a hug and said in my ears..Cuento con su voto.

JJ

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes he did, during the political campaign of 1996

Read what JDJones wrote and the thread theme.
I'm 100% sure you have never seen Leonel riding in a publico.

Yes...

They all walk the streets and kiss babies.
In the USA, Europe etc, this is common for candidates.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Funny video!
I know Hippo's history as president in the DR. I was living there during that time and didn't like what I saw. What is his background as far as when he was young? Was he always rich or was he poor? He would make a good sankie. He is a good BS artist... but then again most politicians are.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
dulce said:
Was he always rich or was he poor?
He was sent to some college in North Carolina, USA to get his agricultural degree. That should give you a good hint.

dulce said:
He would make a good sankie.
A comedian is a better fit. Here's a quick example (a classic Hipolito moment is at 0:31, but the funniest one starts at 1:58 minutes).

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3k3mYhzJo9Y?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dulce said:
He is a good BS artist... but then again most politicians are.
Maybe it runs in the family. Here's his daughter, she's professionally an economist, yet I haven't been able to pin point what exactly she was trying to say (starts at 0:30 minutes):

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bds5ApdnNTg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hmmmm.... :cheeky:

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I identify my self with this guy, he use lot of body language, always a smile in his face, noisy and a little bit crazy.
But a good man with a big heart, always helping the poor people just see how he is giving away money he pull out of his pocket everywhere he goes.

That's the reason I'm with Papa.

JJ

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I don't identify with any politician, but I do have a soft spot for those that make the middle class grow, even if just a little, vs others that ravage everything on their path.

In order for the middle class to grow, you need stability and that attracts foreign investment (aka, more jobs), creates a boom in new businesses catering to the local population (aka, more jobs), invigorates everything (aka, more jobs).

Isn't that what the people want? I think so...