DR Next Week - Safety Tips

jodynich

Feb 4, 2011
Me and one of my buddies (it will be 2 guys) are blowing some hotel and airline points next week and heading south to Santo Domingo. We are staying at the Renaissance by the coast but want to venture to a beach or two to enjoy cold beer and warm weather. Reading some other threads has me concerned about violence in Juan Dolio and Boca Chica seems a little to "out there" for our taste. Are there any beaches that are safe and can satisfy our simple needs? Guayacanes seems legitimate, is that a good idea? Thank you all for your knowledge. We will have a car.

JFitz dr

Dec 17, 2009
you guys will be fine!! if your looking just too have some fun there shouldn't be a problem other than the vendors on the beach being annoying. if you go to Boca Chica you can eat really well and inexpensive at Gusto Tropical. Also if you goto Boca Marina for late afternoon cocktails and some apps...really kool place and crowd a bit more upscale....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Check out Palenque on this site, do a little search, there are several pictures and it is anice place--out of the way--and quite safe...Guayacanes is nice, the beach is only so-so IMO, but if Deli Swiss is open that is one of the best places in all of the Caribbean...unequaled, again IMO....the wine list alone takes a hour to read!!

Have fun, don't do bling or try to impress anyone with your money. Wear normal clothes, except on beach...

HB

lumiere987

Jul 4, 2007
Me and one of my buddies (it will be 2 guys) are blowing some hotel and airline points next week and heading south to Santo Domingo. We are staying at the Renaissance by the coast but want to venture to a beach or two to enjoy cold beer and warm weather. Reading some other threads has me concerned about violence in Juan Dolio and Boca Chica seems a little to "out there" for our taste. Are there any beaches that are safe and can satisfy our simple needs? Guayacanes seems legitimate, is that a good idea? Thank you all for your knowledge. We will have a car.

If you decide for Guayacanes, you may want to go to the Coco Cane restaurant, it is right on a quite area of the beach, they have chairs, shower, impeccable bathrooms, buy a few drinks and you can stay there the whole day. The owner' s name is Andre, he is French American, has been in the DR forever. And if you decide to eat there...I'll let you decide who is the best restaurant in Guyacannes!

Mar 1, 2009
In Boca Chica their are a lot of people there. So you have safety in numbers. Don't leave your stuff, like a phone or money on the towel in the sand, that might not be their when you come back. Otherwise I think you can go to Boca Chica and Juan Dolio and be quite safe.