Bar crawl advice?

Momark

Jul 27, 2010
Enjoy walking the beach and stopping for a short bite and some tall drinks instead of lounging at the AI all day. Last trip walked from Paradisus to El Cortecito and only remember the Palma Sand bar next to Capt'n Cooks.
This time will have a crew with me and will be staying further away at Ocean Blue. Still want to make the walk to El Cortecito but will likely want to cab it back.
Can you suggest your favorite beach bars along this stretch of sand and also some spots we should hit by cab on the way back to Ocean Blue? Trying to put together a little bar crawl.
I believe Steve's Bar will be on the way back and is a must for us. Any others where we should stop in? Any favorites we shouldn't miss and if so, what is the attraction?
Might as well tell me those you think we should stay away from also for safety or other reasons.
Thanks for your expert advice.

Reactions: mike l

carib

Jul 16, 2002
bar crawl

You are in the wrong place
go to Sosua
Bavaro is a boar
Carib

Momark

Jul 27, 2010
Too late! Already booked. Have to work with what I have. Any suggestions for the Punta Pub crawl? C'mon, help me out...

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
On the beach there's there's several places: the well known El Pulpo Coho, and further south also Soles Chill Out Bar. On the road, there's the shop and drink... or something like that.. where you buy the booze/mixers from the store, and sit and drink it in a club setting. I never went there, but drove by it, but my kids, (adults), did go there one night and loved it. I think there are a few new or re-opened places, but not sure, the dr1 members who are local to PC would be better to advise.

My wife was swapping email with our R.E. agent and friend in Punta Cana, and she has a new service now. They are offering a "Night Club Tour" where you are taken to several of the better places over the course of an evening, and then driven back to your hotel or condo. IIRC it's 3 clubs, admission included and one drink at each club included. PM me for her contact info. She, (my agent/friend) also has a VERY comprehensive guide to the area that you can download and use as a reference.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
OH... almost forgot... you have to go to the car wash/bar place... have to see that one!

have fun!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Go to Plaza Bavaro sometime after 1 AM. In the middle there is a bar they call Saca Leche, every local knows it. Enough said.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
In a car, I would start at the Car Wash across from Bavaro Texaco station at the intersection. Then head toward the beach (see on map **/***) and you will find at least 2 or 3 pretty decent bars (not sure names) only on the left side. There is also Bavaro Car Wash in the middle of these Bars and several restaurants in the area. When you get closer to the beach where the road turns left you will see Steve's Bar ( a good local hangout). Approx. 100 yards away is Bavaro Plaza on the right side where you will find a great bar in the back as Sky posted. There's also a Disco sign across from Steve's Bar for Mangu Disco. Never been in but what I've heard it really gets going after 1 am.. Enjoy...

Last edited by a moderator:

Momark

Jul 27, 2010
Transportation from El Cortecito back to Ocean Blue?

Since I cannot access Steve's from the beach, I plan to walk on to El Cortecito and hit some bars down there, then walk to Plaza's Nautica and Globalia for more bar exploration. I then want to go to Plaza Bavaro and hit Steve's before returning to Ocean Blue.
Would you suggest walking, a motoconcho, a taxi or guagua (if available) to PB/Steve's, and then a guagua or taxi from Steve's back to Ocean Blue?
Could you provide me with approximate cost by mode of transportation for the two legs of the return trip? I will have at least one and maybe two people with me.
Any advice for this return leg of my bar crawl? Thanks for your help.

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
thumbs up to pub crawl

congrats for being a creative tourist!

Good to see a tourist willing to step outside there all inclusive resort and explore and interact with some locals!

would be good to see more tourist do this:cheeky: