money exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

citynights

Jan 24, 2011
Here's a website where you can change the current ERs. This place is in Cabarete but rates in Sosua should be the similar.

Wally Exchange Cabarete

How can Wally justify his rates for a CAD dollar....its trading higher than US dollar.... $1 CAD= $1.00969 US
walleys rates
$1 US = 37.600 dom. peso $1 US = 37.4 pesos
$1CAD =37.964 dom. peso $1 CAD = 36.4 pesos

MY guess the canadians in Cabarete do not do much business with him...

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Its because everything bought here from international markets is bought with US dollars. So the cambio's have to change your Canadian $ to US. So the point is change your Canadian $ to US $ in Canada and come down here and exchange to pesos. It's always been this way down here. My parents always ask the same question and I tell them to bring US $ down here.
Remember when (for a short time) the Canadian $ was $1.08 to the US $......they were exchanging at the same rate down here....go figure but it is what it is....

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Don't know about the CD but yesterday for the USD i got 37.4 pesos

Bob K

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
How can Wally justify his rates for a CAD dollar....its trading higher than US dollar.... $1 CAD= $1.00969 US
walleys rates
$1 US = 37.600 dom. peso $1 US = 37.4 pesos
$1CAD =37.964 dom. peso $1 CAD = 36.4 pesos

MY guess the canadians in Cabarete do not do much business with him...
That is a very reasonable rate for CDN$ in the Dominican Republic.

Canadians often pay 2-3% to buy US$ or use the ATM so a 4% hit for Loonies is not bad at all.
It used to be way worse and it still is in some places like Banreservas.

Jan 17, 2009
Caribe Express has the best rates. Wally is very close or matches it. For a few Dominican cents to the US, unless you're exchanging thousands of dollars, use whatever is closest to you.

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
US $ was 37.20 yesterday at Banco Santa cruz

i was surprised BSC went to 37.5 today

other rates today at santa cruz

CDN: 36.45
EURO: 49.80

when im changing more than usual i use caribe express which is abit higher especially for the euro for some reason

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If Caribe Express still has the best rates, which I have found to be the case, then it makes NO difference if you exchange at the office in Sosua or Cabarete.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Whatever you do, don't exchange Canadian Dollars at the Airport in POP.
My friends were leaving on Tuesday and had to pay departure tax. They had to echange $50 CDN for $40 USD. Fair? I don't think so.
So I guess the best advice is to bring $USD with you or to go to the ATM with your debit card to get Pesos.

carib

Jul 16, 2002
Caribe Express has the best rates. Wally is very close or matches it. For a few Dominican cents to the US, unless you're exchanging thousands of dollars, use whatever is closest to you.
Be careful and count every bill at Caribe Tours Cabarete !!
They try to cheat

carib

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Whatever you do, don't exchange Canadian Dollars at the Airport in POP.
My friends were leaving on Tuesday and had to pay departure tax. They had to echange $50 CDN for $40 USD. Fair? I don't think so.
So I guess the best advice is to bring $USD with you or to go to the ATM with your debit card to get Pesos.
Don't change money at the airport. Like most countries, the airport money exchanges charge a heafty vig. That is true for whatever currency you change.

Jan 17, 2009
Be careful and count every bill at Caribe Tours Cabarete !!
They try to cheat

carib

We've been exchanging at Caribe Express for years pretty much once a week. Not once we were short-changed. We'll count twice before leaving the shop from now on then. Thanks.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We've been exchanging at Caribe Express for years pretty much once a week. Not once we were short-changed. We'll count twice before leaving the shop from now on then. Thanks.

Same with us. Have never had a problem with any Caribe Express location nor Western Union. But it always pays to double check.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Sosua rates are usually better than Cabarete rates, at least for the US$.

You get the best rates at carribe tours in cabarete. 37,45 yesterday, i have not been in sosua for awhile but i doubt rates are higher there. If they are please let me know :)There is another bank in cab. that gives me the same rate when i tell them to do that.. The small one close to the main orange shop...

Maybe the street guys in sosua gives better rates the the cabarete street guys but I do not do business with them. They usually give around 35.

Status
Not open for further replies.