What do I say?

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I'm sure this has happened to others.

In Samana this past week, while waiting to get on the whale watching boat, I saw a latter-middle-aged fellow with a beautiful Dominican woman. It seemed (to me) that he was madly in love with her and that she was counting the days until she had the conditional status removed from her permanent residence.

As it turns out, we ended up in line together and the fellow struck up a conversation, introducing me to his "love" that he was going to be taking back to the United States.

I could tell from the conversation that he was really happy and was sort of searching for me to say "Congratulations", or something to that effect.

Fortunately, it was my turn to get into the boat at that moment, so I was saved. But I want to be prepared for the next time.

So, my first question is: What do you think about so that you don't double over laughing or slap the man upside the head in the hopes it will knock some sense into him?

And secondly: What do you say to someone like this? I'm thinking, "I wish you both well."

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
It seemed (to me) that he was madly in love with her and that she was counting the days until she had the conditional status removed from her permanent residence.
i'm wondering how you figured all of this out. surely you have some pre-disposed notion about middle age men and young dominican women. :ermm:

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
who cares? When they remove her conditional status she wont be a young woman anymore, IF he really decides to bring her. I think people sometimes get exactly what they ask for.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've been in that boat a few times, and it's not comfy. We just spent almost a week at Lifestyles Tropical in Puerto Plata, and we could write a book. We watched the hook-ups, watched the little gringas throwing themselves at the animation team. Even saw an older one holding hands and gazing lovingly into one of the tour rep's eyes at breakfast one day. I kind of smile and shake my head. My husband gets very annoyed when he sees the older white guys with the young morenas. He said "Don't they know how ridiculous they look??" about 5 different times just at that resort. I don't count at the beach:cheeky:

Speaking of the animation team, I wish I'd had a camera with me the first night at the show. The team pulled random members from the guests up to dance with them. We were sitting with an American couple, speaking English, when a tall dancer tapped my non-Dominican looking husband on the shoulder and invited him to dance with her to a merengue. You should have seen her face when it dawned on her that she picked probably the only Dominican guest there, everyone was cheering and whistling at them because they were the only couple who both knew what they were doing!

AE

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
who cares? When they remove her conditional status she wont be a young woman anymore, IF he really decides to bring her. I think people sometimes get exactly what they ask for.

You can remove your conditional status after 2 years :surprised

To the OP question, I would say: Have a nice day, it was a pleasure meeting you (After all, you don't know him) :)

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Mind your own business ;)

If people want to spend their money on whatever makes them happy even if it's for a little while who cares!

Doesn't matter what you THINK people will do what they want, wrong or right.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

If people want to spend their money on whatever makes them happy even if it's for a little while who cares!

Thanks AnnaC, you saved me some typing.

I'm sure this has happened to others.

In Samana this past week, while waiting to get on the whale watching boat, I saw a latter-middle-aged fellow with a beautiful Dominican woman. It seemed (to me) that he was madly in love with her and that she was counting the days until she had the conditional status removed from her permanent residence.

As it turns out, we ended up in line together and the fellow struck up a conversation, introducing me to his "love" that he was going to be taking back to the United States.

I could tell from the conversation that he was really happy and was sort of searching for me to say "Congratulations", or something to that effect.

Fortunately, it was my turn to get into the boat at that moment, so I was saved. But I want to be prepared for the next time.

So, my first question is: What do you think about so that you don't double over laughing or slap the man upside the head in the hopes it will knock some sense into him?

And secondly: What do you say to someone like this? I'm thinking, "I wish you both well."

Whats wrong with the man being happy? Just like sky said should he be back home looking for an overweight middle aged woman??? I say if you can get it and keep up with her then have fun. As for bringing her back to the USA ??? Not sure if I like that idea.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
LOL... that story brought back to mind my last trip to D.R. My wife and I were traveling with our son and daughter, both adults. One night at a local bar, there were several older gents sitting at the bar accompanied by several local girls, and getting very "friendly" as in close physical contact and occasionally kissing. Both my "kids" kinda found it revolting. Having good manners, they didn't say anything until later, when they each declared it to be "gross". LOL Live and let live is my policy.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
To the OP question, I would say: Have a nice day, it was a pleasure meeting you (After all, you don't know him) :)

What they said!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
You can remove your conditional status after 2 years :surprised

Right but an adjustment of status doesn't make her a citizen. So she will still have to stay married to him until she gets her final interview. Which will be about 10 years at least. This new ICE agency deports people even if the spouse has died.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Right but an adjustment of status doesn't make her a citizen. So she will still have to stay married to him until she gets her final interview. Which will be about 10 years at least. This new ICE agency deports people even if the spouse has died.

...but not if they divorce. ICE interviews candidates for residency before issuing the initial temporary (2 year) visa. There is no interview for the permanent resident visa. It's done by mail and the applicant only has to go to ICE to redo their biometrics. That's all. Within 6 months of that the new permanent resident card comes in the mail (USPS). After that there's no checking, no interviewing...no nothing until the citizenship application goes in and you don't require a spouse for that, just 10 years in the country.

As far as ODB's and young Women or Cougars and Sankies goes...don't hate, participate then rate.

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
I also saw some really funny Older (over 60) women with 20 something dominican men holding hands..there must have been six or seven of them..
WHO CARES...I say whatever works for them..men or woman! I see the same sort of crap here in ontario with very wealthy men with ALOT younger woman...no difference!

Reactions: greydread

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I also saw some really funny Older (over 60) women with 20 something dominican men holding hands..there must have been six or seven of them..
WHO CARES...I say whatever works for them..men or woman! I see the same sort of crap here in ontario with very wealthy men with ALOT younger woman...no difference!

Exactly.

Who cares if you can't be young or rich as long as you can feel young and rich.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
...no nothing until the citizenship application goes in and you don't require a spouse for that, just 10 years in the country.

Are you saying this has changed?

It used to be 5 years and only 3 years if married to a U.S. citizen.

Reactions: Chip

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

But thats on paper. Everytime you pass an INS Application Support Office there are people there that have been in limbo por 7-10 years. And as I recall they also use income requirements also. These people are no longer "give me your huddled masses". Many county jails, especially in NJ and Pennsylvania, rely on this deportatee money to put them in the black.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

I stand corrected. It was 10 years in my spouse's case because she'd initially spent her college years on a student visa and the clock didn't start ticking until she applied for the permanent resident visa after spending another 2 years on a temporary resident visa.

The 3 and 5 years to which you refer is actually 5 and 7 years as the 2 year temporary visa period does not count. Eligibility for citizenship begins 3 (spouse) and 5 (others) years from the date that the applicant is approved for permanent resident alien (I hate that term) status.

From USCIS:

You May Qualify for Naturalization if:

You have been a permanent resident for at least 5 years and meet all other eligibility requirements. See the ?General Path to Citizenship? link under ?Citizenship Through Naturalization? to the left.
You have been a permanent resident for 3 years or more and meet all eligibility requirements to file as a spouse of a U.S. citizen. See the ?For Spouses of U.S. Citizens? link under ?Citizenship Through Naturalization? to the left.
You have qualifying service in the U.S. armed forces and meet all other eligibility requirements. See the ?Military" section of our website.
Your child may qualify for naturalization if you are a U.S. citizen, the child was born outside the U.S., the child is currently residing outside the U.S., and all other eligibility requirements are met.

Thanks