Need help best option to buying a flight to sdq.

fulanita

Feb 10, 2010
Hi all,

I'm gign to Santo domingo for some Dental work and I'm not sure how long I'm going to need to stay. I tried purchasing a one way ticket. but the return flight is about double the price of the one way. any susgestions? Thank you so much.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
In theory you need to have a return ticket to enter the DR if you don't have residence.
Book the return flight but find out how much the change fee is and how much notice you have to give.

Change fees vary but are in the order of 100 - 150 dollars. Of course if you leave on the most likely day you don't pay it.

A more expensive option is refundable ticket.

Try and change on the web in good time.

Yanandu

fulanita

Feb 10, 2010
that bring me to another question.. I'm just became a US citizen , I'm dominican. that doesn't apply to me right?

also if I cancel they give a voucher right minus the 150 to use to purchase another flight? so I'll would also have to pay the dif. of the selling cost of current flight? I'm confused because I never done this. thanks.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
that bring me to another question.. I'm just became a US citizen , I'm dominican. that doesn't apply to me right?

also if I cancel they give a voucher right minus the 150 to use to purchase another flight? so I'll would also have to pay the dif. of the selling cost of current flight? I'm confused because I never done this. thanks.
You didn't mention which airline you will be flying as the policies vary from airline to airline. If your are flying Continental you are correct about changing your return date. You will pay the change in the cost of the ticket (if any) and $150 change fee, all of which you can do online.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
jetblue travel insurance

has anyone used JetBlues travel insurance?

I copied this from their website
"
New 'Cancel Anytime' travel insurance offered by Access America. Coverage includes:
shield

* 80% reimbursement of trip costs if you cancel for virtually any reason!
* 100% reimbursement for job loss, injury, illness, and more
* Travel delay — up to $200
* Medical or dental emergencies — up to $10,000
* Emergency medical transportation — up to $50,000
* 24-hour emergency hotline assistance and concierge assistance
"

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
has anyone used JetBlues travel insurance?

I copied this from their website
"
New 'Cancel Anytime' travel insurance offered by Access America. Coverage includes:
shield

* 80% reimbursement of trip costs if you cancel for virtually any reason!
* 100% reimbursement for job loss, injury, illness, and more
* Travel delay ? up to $200
* Medical or dental emergencies ? up to $10,000
* Emergency medical transportation ? up to $50,000
* 24-hour emergency hotline assistance and concierge assistance
"

The insurance costs about $30 extra

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
If you are traveling with a Dominican passport, you are not required to purchase a roundtrip ticket.

These days, even on a US Passport, you generally do not need to purchase a roundtrip ticket. Technically, you are required to purchase a roundtrip ticket, but online they let you purchase a one-way ticket.

That is true if you have a refundable ticket. Most of the less expensive tickets are non-refundable.

fulanita

Feb 10, 2010
well doesnt no-refundanble tickect have the option to make a change to the itineray for a fee? normally 100 to 150 dollars.

are one way tickets more expensive?

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
well doesnt no-refundanble tickect have the option to make a change to the itineray for a fee? normally 100 to 150 dollars.

I think Spirit one way tickets are the same price as 1/2 of return.
Maybe book one way with Spirit then when you are ready to return book the other leg.
Yanandu.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Hi all,

I'm gign to Santo domingo for some Dental work and I'm not sure how long I'm going to need to stay. I tried purchasing a one way ticket. but the return flight is about double the price of the one way. any susgestions? Thank you so much.
It might be helpful if you tell what city you are flying from and what airline you would like to use. Possibly with this info someone may know a few helpful hints.

Reactions: rellosk

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Yes, but I think (not 100% sure) you need to make the change before the flight is scheduled to depart. Continental will not issue you a full refund. If the fare for the changed ticket is less than the fare for the original ticket, they will issue you the difference in a travel voucher. The $150 change fee is a separate transaction.

In the old days yes, but these days the fare for each segment is priced separately. But in the case of the DR, the total taxes seem to be higher when buying one-way tickets.

fulanita

Feb 10, 2010
It might be helpful if you tell what city you are flying from and what airline you would like to use. Possibly with this info someone may know a few helpful hints.

hi, I'm flying from Newark NJ (EWR) and nearby airport such as LGA. I'm not picky about the airline as long as the price is cheap. I also need to fly out ASAP.I'm unemployed and have an inflamed root canal. :(
thanks for your help.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
hi, I'm flying from Newark NJ (EWR) and nearby airport such as LGA. I'm not picky about the airline as long as the price is cheap. I also need to fly out ASAP.I'm unemployed and have an inflamed root canal. :(
thanks for your help.
OK, I can help you with EWR. Continental is the only airline out of EWR with non-stop flights. You can purchase your ticket online with let's say a retun date a month from now. Once you are in the DR and are ready to return you just change your return date. There will be a $150 change fee. There may also be an additional charge is the price of your new return date ticket is higher than the original.

There is no way getting around the $150 change fee unless you luck out and your original return date there is a snow storm in jersey.

Do a search on Continental for flights. You should be able to find a round trip ticket for around $400 if you purchase two weeks in advance. If you don't have that time frame expect to pay $100 or so more.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If you can fly from JFK, Jet Blue has a current ticket for around $125.00 plus taxes, one-way to SDQ.

In an earlier post, you said that you are Dominican. If you have your Dominican passport or c?dula, you can fly on a one-way ticket without problems. Non-Dominicans who are not residents need to have a return ticket.