looking for small town with big smiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshine23

Feb 11, 2011
Hello! Just another traveler looking for a bit of advise, pretty pretty please. I am traveling to the DR in May with my 4 year old daughter and a friend. We are flying into PC. We have another friend flying into SD a few days later that is going to meet up with us.
I have done quite a bit of traveling and the big resort scene is the exact opposite of what we are looking for. We would like to find a smaller beach town to call home for about 2 weeks, that is close enough to transportation that we can get around the country a bit. I always find the best part of a trip to be getting to know a few people, and a little community. If only for 2 weeks. If we can find a mom and pop place on the beach that would be heaven. Unfortunately, none of speak spanish very well so that will hinder things a bit. Just thought I would throw it out there and see if you guys and gals had any ideas. BTW it does not need to be on the north coast, just wherever you think is best :laugh:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well, first of all you are flying into the wrong airport! PC is dedicated to the big hotel scene in the East (popularly known as the Independent Republic of the East).

While there might be some place such as you describe there ( I am thinking of Sabana de la Mar or Miches) they are pretty far removed from the rest of the country...

If you are going to hook up with a friend in Santo Domingo, you might want to look into Palenque, San Cristobal (do a search for it on this site, there are reports and pictures) Less travel and less hassle.

Then there is Paya, Bani...also fairly closeby and quiet.

Up North there is Cabrera, Nagua, Rio San Juan, Luperon, Punta Rucia, Montecristi..

Lots and lot to choose from

HB

ssarkas

Oct 9, 2007
nagua is great local to base. new hway makes it easy access. many things close.lt ,samana.and much more...check a map

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Great Place to Go

Hi:

I live in Las Terrenas on the Samana Peninsula. This area has a small town feel with bit of European flair. There are about 5000 French living here, with many Italians, German, Swiss, some Canadians, Americans and of course Dominicans and Haitians. There are many small resorts and great restaurants. You can walk to palm lined beaches for miles. The ocean, especially on Playa Las Ballenas is ideal for young children, with very mild wave action and wide beaches. If you rent a vehicle you can drive to Las Terrenas from Las Americas airport in SD in about 2hrs. 15min. This is a beach town which is far from the large all inclusives, people are very friendly and the scenery is very beautiful.
Check out www.lasterrenaslive or www.semanapeninsula.com.

S

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fHl2kzGOFBw?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fHl2kzGOFBw?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I would have to say that Cabrera is the place to go for a small town with big smiles... but I'm pretty bias! ;) The town is located on a cliff so there is ocean front but no beach right in the town. However, there are about half a dozen beautiful beaches within a 5 to 20 minute drive. There is also one beach which is walkable from the centre. It is a lovely little town, not touristy, very friendly and loads of smiles! :) There are lots of great restaurants in town and if you are looking for a place to stay there are a few different options depending on your price range. The nicest place, at I believe about $65 - 75 a night, is La Catalina Hotel which is up in the hills with a beautiful view looking out at the ocean. This hotel is about a 5 - 10 minute drive from town or a 40 minute walk. Really beautiful place, friendly staff, good food and tasty cocktails! There are also a couple of small hotels ($25 - 30 a night) in the centre of town which are right on the cliff side. Simple rooms with small kitchenettes and amazing views!! If you decide on Cabrera, please feel free to contact me with any questions on the town. If a small town with big smiles really is what you're looking for, Cabrera certainly fits the bill!!

Sunshine23

Feb 11, 2011
Thank you all so very much!! Sorry in my delay in responding, I'm in school full time and working so have a hard time finding time to research all this. I'm so excited to be going!!! I very much appreciate the ideas... now just to narrow it down...

encounter3000

Feb 26, 2006
hy Sushine
i have got a perfect place for you, but drop me a email at, Since i cannot post any kind of advertising or your email address to attact clients. let me know.
i will also be in DR march 24 to april29 with my daughter 5yrs and my wife. Hope to hear from you

Last edited by a moderator:

dominicanadian

Aug 30, 2010
I like Caberera myself, within 10 miuntes from la entrada beach were a beautiful fresh water river flows into the Atlantic. also within 10 minutes, Playa grande, playa diamonte, laguna dudu,laguna azul both fresh water cenotes were you can cliff jump and rope swing. In the town you can find a beautiful water fall were you can watch the local kids jump. Caberera is very freindly and the people dont seem to be in your pocket as much as the really touristy areas. Then again the whole island is beautiful, if you rent a car you can see alot in two weeks, and mom and pops hotels with good rates are not hard to find. Dont be afraid to ask the locals at the colmados, most will speak enough english to help you out. If you check youtube, and google earth you can see many photos of the different beaches. Have fun, be safe, and smiles are contagious.

dkusa

Mar 28, 2011
Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing! Your stories have made me MUCH less nervous to travel to a place I've never even seen pictures of. And to know that the residents are friendly lifts a huge weight off my shoulder. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.