Married to a Dominican and he is still together with the mother of his first child

schnuffidog

Sep 2, 2003
I am from Canada and married to a Dominican Man for over 6 years. We have been together for almost 8 years and were, at least I thought, very happy. He came to Canada with his daughter in 2005 and I have been looking after his kid ever since, except for 2 years, when the birth mother did not return the kid to me when I took her down for a visit. She is back now. In October of last year, I have been notified via text message and email, that he is still with the mother of the child and in the meantime became the father of another child, same mother, which is now 3 years old. Apparently they have a house together, a car and a bank account and are renovating the house with the money he earns here in Canada. He does not pay me any support to speak off nor does he pay portions of the Utility bills and the mortgage for the house.
He denies to be the father of this new child, but I obtained a birth certificate and he is the declarant on the certificate. He has been telling me, that somebody has been using his information to register the kid in his name. I know, what people might say....he either slept with her or not. There is a strong possibility that this event took place. Please save you comments about that. All I want to know is, would there be the possibility for somebody else to register the kid in his name or not. As well, how does the law speak about adultery in the Dominican Republic and how are the assets divided through a divorce in the DR and what are the procedures.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
The father needs to be thereto register the child in his name. Infact it is a little more difficult than you may think, questions dates, proof etc can be and were asked of fromme when registering ours in Santo Domingo.

Gilles Beaulieu

Apr 7, 2010
You don't have any parents or any friends to talk about that ?
Are your alone in this planet ?

I can't believe you must tell us your problem and you can't resolve your problem without posting here .
You gone receive a lot of responses,but why you don't resolve your problem with your family ?

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Honestly
I dont think canadian parents or friends have any answers to dom related questions!
give the girl a break
Manu

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The father needs to be thereto register the child in his name. Infact it is a little more difficult than you may think, questions dates, proof etc can be and were asked of fromme when registering ours in Santo Domingo.

My sister-in-law had twins and the father (Dominican) refused to admit they were his.

Nevertheless, the sister-in-law had him listed as the father of record on the birth certificates.

SantiagoDR

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
That shouldn't have happened, any girl could go and register any father to any child. My lass tried as I couldn't get the time off work, but she was refused and told I had to be there to sign the registry book. I really can't see how this can be. You need the parents and a witness to witness both signatures.

Once there we were quizzed quite hard on our time together. Wasn't an easy 'oh, any name will do' thing.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The father does not have to be present to register the birth. Anyone can put his name with copy of cedula. Also as I am sure you know envy can make many people do things like this - send text messages etc saying your man has strayed. Standard Dominican female practice. Not saying it is not true - but there is more chance of it not being true than in some other countries.

Matilda

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I am from Canada and married to a Dominican Man for over 6 years. We have been together for almost 8 years and were, at least I thought, very happy. He came to Canada with his daughter in 2005 and I have been looking after his kid ever since, except for 2 years, when the birth mother did not return the kid to me when I took her down for a visit. She is back now. In October of last year, I have been notified via text message and email, that he is still with the mother of the child and in the meantime became the father of another child, same mother, which is now 3 years old. Apparently they have a house together, a car and a bank account and are renovating the house with the money he earns here in Canada. He does not pay me any support to speak off nor does he pay portions of the Utility bills and the mortgage for the house.
He denies to be the father of this new child, but I obtained a birth certificate and he is the declarant on the certificate. He has been telling me, that somebody has been using his information to register the kid in his name. I know, what people might say....he either slept with her or not. There is a strong possibility that this event took place. Please save you comments about that. All I want to know is, would there be the possibility for somebody else to register the kid in his name or not. As well, how does the law speak about adultery in the Dominican Republic and how are the assets divided through a divorce in the DR and what are the procedures.

As far as divorce proceeding in the DR I don't know. If you want to see if he is cheating a pi can follow him around and also do a credit check to find out if he has bank accounts in the DR. I think it goes w/o saying if he does he's up to no good.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Matilda

So you say anyone can use another guys cedilla to register?
I'd question that.
Or
Are you saying anyone can claim to be the father and register themselves as the father?

Seems yet again people are experiencing different rules, but for 'extract de acts de nacimiento, acta inextensa de nacimiento' I would have thought there would be clear lines.

Feb 7, 2007
It's reversed, a father can go to register the child with mother's cedula, but father has to be present always. Also, a hospital paper (where father is listed) is required. Whne fathe ris not present or refuses to be present, mother can register the child alone (no father listed) and the fathercan later on go to the respective Oficialia Civil and submit a declaration of fatherhood, a new birth certificate is then re-issued.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It's reversed, a father can go to register the child with mother's cedula, but father has to be present always. Also, a hospital paper (where father is listed) is required. Whne fathe ris not present or refuses to be present, mother can register the child alone (no father listed) and the fathercan later on go to the respective Oficialia Civil and submit a declaration of fatherhood, a new birth certificate is then re-issued.

My wife says this is the way it is.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010

That is exactly what I thought (although unaware the father could register the mother without physical consent)and is my experience.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The father goes to register childs birth. He needs his cedula. Do you have any idea how many cedulas changed hands during the last elections as an example??? All a man needs is a copy of whoevers cedula and then registers the child as the name on the cedula and says it is him. I was not saying as a mother you can put whoevers name you want on the birth certificate. i was just reminding the OP we are in the Dominican Republic where anything is possible.

Matilda

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
The father goes to register childs birth. He needs his cedula. Do you have any idea how many cedulas changed hands during the last elections as an example??? All a man needs is a copy of whoevers cedula and then registers the child as the name on the cedula and says it is him. I was not saying as a mother you can put whoevers name you want on the birth certificate. i was just reminding the OP we are in the Dominican Republic where anything is possible.

Matilda

That is not legal though, I got the impression you were claiming this is the norm. It isn't. I'd also question if a copy of the cedula would be enough, you might find the actual cedula would be needed which in this case I'd presume would be in the pocket of the guy in question.
Looks like he is telling porkies or he had his cedula stolen and replaced before he noticed.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
That is not legal though, I got the impression you were claiming this is the norm. It isn't. I'd also question if a copy of the cedula would be enough, you might find the actual cedula would be needed which in this case I'd presume would be in the pocket of the guy in question.
Looks like he is telling porkies or he had his cedula stolen and replaced before he noticed.

The actual cedula is needed. All I am saying is there is a massive trade in cedulas. Before the elections there were massive queues at the cedula offices from people saying they had lost their cedula and getting a new one. Then they sell their other one and dont bother voting. Dealing in cedulas is very common, legal or not. Just because someone has their cedula in their pocket does not mean there is not another one out there in the same name.

Matilda

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
if you think the cops are crooked, a smile, sad story, and 1000 pesos will get a nurse in most hospitals to register the father as barack obama. every situation is unique.

Reactions: Matilda

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
The actual cedula is needed. All I am saying is there is a massive trade in cedulas. Before the elections there were massive queues at the cedula offices from people saying they had lost their cedula and getting a new one. Then they sell their other one and dont bother voting. Dealing in cedulas is very common, legal or not. Just because someone has their cedula in their pocket does not mean there is not another one out there in the same name.

Matilda

Ok, got you know. Yes I have met many people with a more dramatic skin colour change from cedula photo than mr Jackson himself.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My husband forgot his cedula in NJ when we came here 2 months ago, but his brother had a copy of it. Lousy copy, could barely see his facial features, but it was good enough for BHD bank and several other legalities he needed it for - until he had the time to go down to Centro de los Heroes and get a new one.

So it seems that copies do go a long way here.

AE