Calling home/Calling Cards

M

Marvin

I will be coming the to DR1 in just ..... 4 days!!! One last question. I don't want to, but I know I will need to call to check in with my office and family once or twice during our 10 days there. I've been told that using my toll free number will cost me $1.25 per minute. Would it be advantageous to use a pre-paid calling card instead? I've been told that some are better for international calling then others. Suggestions? I'll be staying at Barcelo Bavaro Beach Resort.

M

Marvin

Actually, after further checking, my toll free number would result in an additional 1.25 per minute on top of the normal rate.

J

Jean-Claude

While in Punta Cana (Natura Park)I bought a calling card from Signature Vacations,worth US$15.00. It was barely enough for a 5 minutes call to France, on a Saturday.

J

Jim Hinsch

In Boca Chica, there is a calling card sold in various denominations that allows you to call the United States for US$0.28/min and it also works from the USA to call the Dominican Republic. It works from any public phone.

Buy them at Ronnie's Beach bar next to the Don Juan.

JimHinsch@CSI.COM

D

DR One

Codetel and Tricom calling cards are sold all over. Purchase one. The minute to US is about RD$6. Note you get at least RD$15.50 to the US dollar.

J

jerry

Message for Jim

Do you know the name of the card and if there is a connection fee. I live in Florida and here we can buy a Tricom card to call the DR. A $5.00 card gives about 26 minutes or .19 cpm. We are told that this card can also be used to call the US from the DR. but don't know for sure or how many minutes. I have a little business in Cabrera and would like to offer phone cards for sale to visitors for calling the US if I can find a reasonable one.

Thanks,

Jerry

W

Wanda

We live in Kansas and want to call our students in D.R. Where can we buy calling cards that are cheap like you do in Florida? Is there a place we can order these?

J

Jim Hinsch

The name of the company is TLD. Their phone number is 800-981-8181, but I've never actually been able to reach a person. The number is always busy, or a message comes on that says the call could not go through. There is no connection fee, in that the minimum call time is 1 minute. The ones that just bought a couple weeks ago expire 4/99. I've been told that they are being offered by a guy named Taxi Dave (http://www.ka.net/jboone/taxidave/).

US$0.19/min. is the lowest rate I've ever heard of. Does that card have a connection fee? Can you give me on how these cards can be purchased? The TriCom calling cards offered in the DR (http://www.tricom.net/html/prod_serv/efectiva/index.html) give a rate of US$0.42-44/min.

The customer service number for the TriCom CellCard is 809-476-1166, and the cards are valid for 45 days after 1st use.

JimHinsch@CSI.COM