Travel from Sti or POP to Punta Cana

shabo

Feb 16, 2011
Hello everyone,

We are flying from the Turks & Caicos into either Santiago or Puerto Plata (leaning towards Santiago at the moment). We are going to a wedding in Punta Cana. We arrive on Thursday the 3rd of March and returning on the 10th. My question is, are there any regular flights to PC from either of those 2 locations or should we just rent a car? Our flight doesn't get into Santiago until 3:30pm, which is probably going to be the problem. Any advice from locals or experts is appreciated.

Thanks,

Shannon

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Call Thomas kerrer 809 481 0707. He can fly you from either airport, will cater to your needs somehow.

shabo

Feb 16, 2011
Fantastic! Thanks! Any idea what his email address is, and what his price range might be? Thanks so much!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
To fly it is around $100-150us p/p. Shuttle drive might be a cheaper option depending how many of you he will also do that at around $230-$280 complete.
Don't have web addy at hand, google 'Thomas kerrer, pilot, Dominican republic' and you will stumble across it.

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
What Airport?

Hi:

Why would you fly into Santiago? This is just about the furthest airport away from Punta Cana that you can go to. If at all possible, at least try to fly into SDQ Las Americas in Santo Domingo. From there it is still a distance to PC but it would be more direct.

S

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For that matter, if you could fly into SDQ, you should be able to get to PJU.../

There are charters from Santiago (STI) to PJU...I think I will have to go out there and find out how much.

HB

shabo

Feb 16, 2011
Hey guys, thanks for your answers. The reason I am flying into Santiago is I am flying Air Turks & Caicos from Providenciales (that's where I live). The options and price are better for Santiago than Puerto Plata, and Santo Domingo is not an option anymore (apparently they use to fly there, but no longer) I appreciate all the feedback! :)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Flights

Hi:

Just a suggestion. Santiago to Punta Cana is probably close to 4 hrs by car. You would be better off flying in thru a connection, such as, San Juan, PR where you could catch a flight to Punta Cana. The flight may be more but a car to Punta Cana is going to be at least $250 or more each way. Pay up front and avoid the hassle.

S

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Flights

Hi:

Just a suggestion. Santiago to Punta Cana is probably close to 4 hrs by car. You would be better off flying in thru an airport, if possible, where you can make a connection into Punta Cana. Even if this airport is not in the DR. The flight may be more but a car to Punta Cana is going to be at least $250 or more each way. Pay up front and avoid the hassle.

S

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
This is so depressing:-( Are there any busses from Santigo to Punta Cana maybe?

Not directly. You would need to take a Caribe tours or Metro bus from Santiago to Santo Domingo, then a cab to the Bavaro Express parada and another bus from there. You would also need cabs from STI to the bus station in Santiago and from the bus station in Bavaro to your destination. 3 taxis and 2 busses. I don't know of any other way by ground. It doesn't sound like you are considering it, but to be honest, the most effecient and least expensive way to get there would be to rent a car at STI and drive.

shabo

Feb 16, 2011
We were considering it, but I don't have a driver's licence and my husband's has been at Traffic Department here in the TCI for renewal for months, and they are showing no signs of even attempting to do any driver's licences right now. It's the slowest Government department on the island!

shabo

Feb 16, 2011
I'm now considering a taxi or bus to Puerto Plata, and maybe getting something from there. Any ideas? PS: Sorry to be a pain in the butt:)

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Just get a cab to the bus, get the bus to the capital, then the bus to Bavaro, the Bavaro bus stops anywhere you want once you have entered Bavaro.
It is no big deal, sounds worse than it is, a couple of small cab journeys and a couple of busses is not going to kill anyone, might even be a nice day out.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Other than that, get the bus to the capital then call Anacaona taxis, they will pick you up and take you to where you want in Bavaro for RD$5,000, cheapest rate in the capital, decent cabs as well.
So you will both be in your hotel in Bavaro for less than $150US for both of you, not each, you cant better that.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Thats Thomas' website I gave them his mobile but looks like they want something slightly cheaper maybe.

shabo

Feb 16, 2011
Thats Thomas' website I gave them his mobile but looks like they want something slightly cheaper maybe.

Yes, thanks for that Anastacio, but the price quoted by Thomas was really high! I appreciate your advice, I think the bus to the capital, then taxi might be the way to go! Thanks so much!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
yes, it may take a while but you will struggle to better that price. Be sure to go with Anacaona as some of the others quote $6.500RD.