Transportation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Depends on where you are.

If you are in the center of town, then you go to the Metro or Caribe Tour station on Maimon Street between the overpass and the Municipal and CDEEE buildings...where Baskins and Robbins is???

If you are in the northwest part of town you can go to the Caribe Tours station on 27 Febrero in Las Colinas, or the Javilla station at the intersection of Estrella Sadhala and 27 de Febrero...Just ask, you will be guided to the right place.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Take a taxi to either Metro or Caribe Tours on Maimon. It is about a 20 minute ride. Make sure of the fare before you get into the vehicle. Do not accept the first price you are given. Walk away and check out others.
If you do not have a lot of bags, move away from the arrival area and find a taxi that has just dropped off a client and ask him how much into the city..

You probably have more options to Sos?a on Caribe Tours than on Metro.

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You probably have more options to Sos?a on Caribe Tours than on Metro.

Definitely more buses to Sosua with Caribe Tours than Metro. Caribe Tours has a bus every hour whereas Metro only has 4 or 5 buses during entire day. The 2 terminals are almost in sight of each other, but you will pass the Caribe Tours terminal before getting to Metro.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry Ken, but coming from the airport he will pass Metro first, turning right down Maimon and then Caribe Tours on the corner of 27 de Febrero.

And thanks for verifying that CT has a lot more "flights" to Sos?a...jeje

HB

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I now seem to be traveling often from Sosua to Santiago via bus. Metro leaves Santiago at 1:15 to Sosua and not again till much later in the day; Caribe Tours leaves every hour at the quarter, i.e., 12:15, 1:15, 2:15 and leaves you off in Charamico as compared to the Texaco station in Sosua. Caribe takes a bit longer as it makes more stops; costs a bit less too.

RD$160 Caribe Tours Santiago to Sosua (charamico)
RD$180 Metro Bus to Sosua

Jetblue Flight 811

Oct 17, 2010
nevermind i found the website, but quick question, i have heard that from STI to SOS the Metro bus will drop you off at the Texaco gas station, but leaving SOSUA to go to STI where can i catch the bus to santiago?

Jan 17, 2009
On your way to Santiago, walk into the pharmacy (next to the Texaco), and you'll see Metro's counter where you can buy your tickets. Metro will drop you there when you come from Santiago too; that's their stop in Sosua.

Jetblue Flight 811

Oct 17, 2010
ok so just to confirm, the bus TO santiago ALSO stops at the texaco/pharmacy? i dont have to like cross the street to the opposite side and catch it there?

Also, when landing in santiago at roughly 12:42 PM, will i be able to catch the 1:15 bus to sosua? ya know with baggage claim and cab ride etc? according to metros schedule the next one after 1:15pm is like 6:15pm, and id rather do Metro because i hear caribe tours drops you off in Charmaricos which im not too familiar with and thats too far from Terra Linda New Garden Casa valeria etc, whereas i can just walk from the gas station.

THX alot for your expertise

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Clear Immigrations, get your bags, go through aduanas, get a cab and get to Metro in a half hour? Did you really need to ask?

Jan 17, 2009
ok so just to confirm, the bus TO santiago ALSO stops at the texaco/pharmacy? i dont have to like cross the street to the opposite side and catch it there?

Also, when landing in santiago at roughly 12:42 PM, will i be able to catch the 1:15 bus to sosua? ya know with baggage claim and cab ride etc? according to metros schedule the next one after 1:15pm is like 6:15pm, and id rather do Metro because i hear caribe tours drops you off in Charmaricos which im not too familiar with and thats too far from Terra Linda New Garden Casa valeria etc, whereas i can just walk from the gas station.

THX alot for your expertise

Yes, Metro has a desk in the pharmacy, and they arrive/depart from the pharmacy parking lot which is next to the Texaco.

You'll be tight to arrive at Metro. Also, you may get there and they may have no more tickets. It happened to me a few times, especially on Fridays. The next Metro to Sosua is not until 6:15pm; that's correct.

If you get there too late or no more tickets are available for the 1:15pm bus, walk a block down to Caribe Tours. Their buses leave every hour on the quarter minute (so the next bus will be at 2:15pm). Like you said, Caribe Tours will leave you in Charamicos. You'll have to take a cab from there.

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
you will not make it to the bus station in time, after getting your bags and clearing customs.

do not pay more than 500 pesos for a taxi from the airport to the bus station.

if you miss the metro 1:15 then just go down the block and take the carib tours.

they are the same buses, different paint. they make a few more stops so the ride is about a 1/2 hour longer. big deal.

yes it drops you off in charamicos instead of the texaco station. but its not in the middle of nowhere. its right on the main road. there will be plenty of motos and taxis waiting.

200 pesos will get you to tera linda by way of taxi. and 50 pesos will get you there by way of moto.

of if you are trying to save that much on your pesos, and your bags are light, just walk down the hill through charamicos and onto the beach. it will take you 3 minutes to get to the beach. walk along the beach, another 10 minutes. and then 5 minutes up to terra linda.

charamicos is not some far off land. its simply the neighborhood on the other side of the beach.

Jetblue Flight 811

Oct 17, 2010
thanx for your help i REALLY appreciate it......i know it seems like the run around lol but flights from NY to POP are in the high $600's plus 50 for the cab to sosua round trip as opposed to $450 to STI round trip plus cab and bus

maybe im just that cheap......

Also im sorry for hijacking your thread k973a.....

k973a

Feb 17, 2011
Thats okay jetblue i needed the same info because im going up north to sosua anyway so this helps me as well.

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
why do you think i know the answers !!

same for me.. MUCH cheaper to fly into sti at 2am than to fly into pop. i save hundreds. even after paying for a taxi or taking the bus.

ive gone both routes.. 80 for a private taxi to sosua. or 500 pesos for a taxi to carib tours, and then taking the bus for 150 pesos.

ive taken both metro and caribe.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
wow 80 pesos for a private taxi thats awesome where can i find that deal?

DAMN, 2 in the morning? Do buses even run at that time?

That is $80 US, not pesos for a taxi to Sos?a.

There are no buses at that time of the morning, but if you do a search, Hillbilly once posted instructions about taking a taxi to Santiago from the airport, having breakfast at a supermarket (I think) and then getting Metro or Caribe to Puerto Plata and Sos?a.

Status
Not open for further replies.