City Market In Sosua ...Strong Buy !

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Today I brought home a piece of Apple Strudel which was so big it was actually 2 portions for only $RD 50.

Srawberry tarts and double chocolate cake look most appealing.

Their show case right now as we speak is full ....Hey it's like the Cheese Cake Factory.

American Beef, Scallops and Frog legs makes this a shopping opportunity not to be missed !

Reactions: waytogo

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
The fresh mushrooms are great - sweet and really fresh - and cheaper by 50 RD$ a pound than Playero!!!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
They are really doing a great job. Thier on site bakery has some really good stuff and much cheaper then Playero.
Alexandra has stocked the place with lots of imported things that you can't get elsewhere as well as the normal local shopping. Veggies are fresh and you can pick what you want. No longer have to buy a pack of veggies of which at lease one or two will be bad. The selection of meats (fresh), cheese, and cold cuts are very good as well.
If you don't see something you want let Alexandra know and she will try to get it for you.
Had thier BBQ chicken again last night and it was a good as any I have had here and a again at a very good price.
I wish them well.

Bob K

canuckgirl

Nov 1, 2007
I love that place! Their rack of ribs is phenomenal and 50% cheaper than I used to pay in Canada. A few weeks ago, the owner asked me why I like to shop there every day, and I did not have to think twice - they are the only supermarket on the North Coast with North American service - they listen to the customer and if they don't have a product, they will get it for you. This is THE place to shop! I wish them luck and hope they are around for a long, long time!

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
North American Service

- they are the only supermarket on the North Coast with North American service - they listen to the customer and if they don't have a product, they will get it for you.

I must disagree with you, Canukgirl, on the above statement. Tropical Supermarket in Puerto Plata has always had 'North American' service. And the owner, Cheryl, (who is Canadian, BTW) has accommodated us on many occasions when needing a missing product.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
a little dramatic...ay?

I must disagree with you, Canukgirl, on the above statement. Tropical Supermarket in Puerto Plata has always had 'North American' service. And the owner, Cheryl, (who is Canadian, BTW) has accommodated us on many occasions when needing a missing product.

Why can't there be two great places to shop?..no need to DISAGREE!

Reactions: mike l

Buster1

Mar 25, 2009
is this the local grocery store you are talking about in Sosua or an actual market

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
just west of the Coastal gas station, on the same side of the road.....there are big sign around it too

xGabriela

Aug 15, 2010
www.christ-radloff.com
For those who life here as many years like I do, they know that Alexandra is a garantie for good service and absolute hygienical conditions. At the meet corner you can look inside to her preperation rooms and it is perfectly clean! I don`t want to imagine how it looks else where. Alexandra did a great job, as always!

harrygonzo

Feb 19, 2011
this place is great and getting better

hamburgers are the best in the world.....n.y. strips need to be trimmed of fat.....but all around worth traveling an hour for

DR2001

Jan 2, 2011
ok guys this post is accomplishing two things, hunger for great fresh food and wanting to board the plane right now!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
ok guys this post is accomplishing two things, hunger for great fresh food and wanting to board the plane right now!

Then please bring yellow lemons as I asked Alexandra and she said she can no longer get them as National no longer imports them.

Reactions: SantiagoDR
Dec 21, 2008
a little pricey

The fresh meat is awesome (only place to buy imported beef that is nicely marbled), wine is cheaper than the Playero but some of their shelf items are a bit more expensive than the Playero. The bakery items are much better than the Playero but if you want really good stuff, go to the German Bakery. Produce is so so depending on when you go. I haven't bought any fruit there as I usually get it from the guy on the side of the road in Charamicos (?) The store is VERY clean and the some of the staff do speak a little English which is nice. What I really like is that they don't stalk you like they do in the Playero. I usually go to the Playero first to see what kind of specials are on then head over to City and finish my shopping there.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I also found the stock items to be more expensive than Playero which in turn is more expensive than Janet's in Cabarete for the basics. As always, it is good to see someone with a different selection of items for sale and the competition is a good thing.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Salmon

The frozen Chilean salmon is very good.

CityMarket prices can be a bit higher... but not significantly so in most cases.
I find that availability is a bigger inconvenience than the 10-20 pesos here and there.

WW

grsher

Jan 16, 2008
For anyone who is interested they have the best prices on cigars that I've seen anywhere. 1950 pesos for a box of Aurora robustos.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
For anyone who is interested they have the best prices on cigars that I've seen anywhere. 1950 pesos for a box of Aurora robustos.
I wouldn't say anywhere. ;) I do agree that Alexandra is #1 in running buisiness.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
The half baguettes from City Market are great. Briefly they were at a much higher price than I was prepared to pay few days ago. Now they have come down again to RD$34. Still this is some 10% increase!

Baked fresh they cannot be beaten!

Olly

Island Treats

Sep 5, 2003
SOSUALIVING.COM
They are really doing a great job. Thier on site bakery has some really good stuff and much cheaper then Playero.
Alexandra has stocked the place with lots of imported things that you can't get elsewhere as well as the normal local shopping. Veggies are fresh and you can pick what you want. No longer have to buy a pack of veggies of which at lease one or two will be bad. The selection of meats (fresh), cheese, and cold cuts are very good as well.
If you don't see something you want let Alexandra know and she will try to get it for you.
Had thier BBQ chicken again last night and it was a good as any I have had here and a again at a very good price.
I wish them well.

Bob K
Could someone check to see whether they carry the Boca or Morning Star Veggie Patties and Sausages products.