AA Costs Less to Book One Way Tickets

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I discovered something pretty amazing about booking on American Airlines. If you book Two one way tickets up and back from the DR to Miami, and most likely other places you pay less than a straight round trip ticket. I checked the exact same flights both ways and found it was $40 less this way.

The base fares are the same, but the tax is less. Try it and see. go to AA.com, as Expedia and some other sites don't handle AA anymore.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for info SKY. I am in process of planning a trip to US and was thinking that I had to book round trip to save money. Being able to book a one way ticket is good news because I may want to fly Continental to my first destination to avoid an overnight in a hotel enroute and fly AA back to the DR

Jan 17, 2009
I've been doing this for a while. And not only if you travel to the US. Going to Asia, it was substantially cheaper booking POP/SFO and the rest separate from the US. Lots of money saved on taxes and no charge for a stopover in San Francisco! BTW, it's not just AA; all other airlines seem to have the same one way ticket option.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I discovered something pretty amazing about booking on American Airlines. If you book Two one way tickets up and back from the DR to Miami, and most likely other places you pay less than a straight round trip ticket. I checked the exact same flights both ways and found it was $40 less this way.

The base fares are the same, but the tax is less. Try it and see. go to AA.com, as Expedia and some other sites don't handle AA anymore.

You are great!

This is amazing. Not only are the flights cheaper but this method allows you to build more flexibility into the trips in terms of dates and times based on the availability of different carriers in addition to saving 10% of the fare. This is especially useful in a region served by multiple airports.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
This must be region specific. Because two one-way tickets from the DC area to SDQ and back costs about the same, and sometimes a little bit more than one round trip ticket. In fact, the only time I've ever saved money by buying oneway tickets is when I've used miles for one of them.

Vince.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
This must be region specific. Because two one-way tickets from the DC area to SDQ and back costs about the same, and sometimes a little bit more than one round trip ticket. In fact, the only time I've ever saved money by buying oneway tickets is when I've used miles for one of them.

Vince.

I tried this on American also with no real difference but on Kayak it opened up all kinds of possibilities from the DC area. The AA site lets you choose each leg but Kayak just shows paired departure/ return sets. Booking individually opens this up and you can mix and match for better results. This is especially useful if flight times are just as important as price. Time is money, too.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
I tried this on American also with no real difference but on Kayak it opened up all kinds of possibilities from the DC area. The AA site lets you choose each leg but Kayak just shows paired departure/ return sets. Booking individually opens this up and you can mix and match for better results. This is especially useful if flight times are just as important as price. Time is money, too.

Yeah. It's cheaper if you're willing to fly Spirit. But who wants to arrive, or leave at 3am. And that's with a 5hr layover in Fort Lauderdale. Seriously, who does that just to save relatively little money?

And actually, Kayak will let you search one-way itineraries. It just wasn't any cheaper unless you choose one of those ridiculous Spirit itineraries. And like you said, time is money?

Vince.

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
I got a cheaper price when I did the one way search on Jet Blue a couple of weeks ago.