Letter of Invitation to Canada - Question!!

Jessiejayne

May 17, 2010
I would like to write a letter of invitation for my boyfriend to come to Canada on a Temporary Residence Visa but I am currently in DR until May and we would like to process the application before then. My question is can I write this invitation letter while I am here or does it need to have proof that it was sent from Canada?
Thanks!

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I would like to write a letter of invitation for my boyfriend to come to Canada on a Temporary Residence Visa but I am currently in DR until May and we would like to process the application before then. My question is can I write this invitation letter while I am here or does it need to have proof that it was sent from Canada?
Thanks!

When my husband and I invited some dominican friends to visit us in Canada, I wrote de letter and I was in the D.R. The letter was included in our friends visitor visa application.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Save yourself the grief and money. Hardly anyone ever gets approved on a temporary visitor visa with a girlfriend issuing the letter of invitation!

Jessiejayne

May 17, 2010
Just looking for an answer to my question...
I have heard it all before about the chances blah blah but I am giving it a shot. Not much to be lost from trying really.
Any helpful information or ideas from those who have tried this is greatly appreciated!

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Did not mean to rain on your parade but to make sure you knew that it is next to impossible.

That said......

Yes you can issue the invitation letter from here.BUT you must have proof of your income in Canada and your ability to pay for everything should he go awol. What you earn here will not count. they want proof of income while you are there.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
There has been a huge increase in the number of TRV's being issued in the last year.

Your odds for approval are so much better if you apply while you are living in the DR together.

Saying that, if you will be staying with family in Canada then you would be better to have them write the letter of invitation and submit proof of whatever financial support you will have (his, yours, your parents/family etc).

I think most of the couples that have received visitor visas lately have given a reason for travel (like family event, christmas holiday etc.) I think you have better odds if there is a reason for the trip other than just to go on a holiday.

Make sure to provide proof that you are living together because like DMV said, a girlfriend in Canada applying for a boyfriend to come does not give you great odds. With your situation you at least have a 50-50 chance!

Good luck!
Sangria

Jessiejayne

May 17, 2010
Thank for the helpful replys!
Couple questions....
When we visit Canada we will be staying with my Dad so I am sure I could have him write a letter of invitation however I won't be returning to DR with my boyfriend if we do, and I am not sure how this fits into the letter or does it need to at all?

I currently don't have income here, just using my savings, so how bad does this look for purposes of the bank statement?

Should I have a letter from my employer in Canada stating that I will be returning to work while my boyfriend is visiting?

Since the chances are not great, I just want to be sure we do everything right to at least give it our best shot!

Thanks!

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Hi Jessie Jayne,

In your letter I would just say that you are currently living in DR with your bf, and leave it at that. Also, maybe submit a copy of the rental agreement, or pay stubs of the apartment you have rented there, with both of your names on it. The more proof u submit that you're here in DR, the better. If you draw attention to the fact that you will be remaining in Canada, that will only work against you. You should definitely not lie on the application, because that will come back to bite you in the butt, but just make them understand that upon submitting the applciation, you're living here in DR, and just leave it at that.
Also, if you can get additional proof of finances, whether it be from your dad... or get your dad to also write a letter of invitation inviting your bf to come and stay in his home (therefore, accommodations paid for and won't be an additional expense).
You do not need to have the letter of invite sent from Canada. When my bf got his visitors visa in October, my parents wrote the letter of invitation, since we were going to be staying at their house over the christmas holidays, and then I just had them sign it and scan it into the computer, so my bf and I could print it from here in DR, and it also had their signatures on it....
Your boyfriend should submit a letter from his employer stating that he can have the days off of work that he has asked for and that he understands that he is expected back at work on such and such a date....
It really is a gamble, but one thing is for sure: if you don't try, you definitely won't get it. So good luck.
Again, submit the application WHILE you are still living in DR. I believe that reason is why my bf got the visa... with proof that I live and work in DR.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Did not mean to rain on your parade but to make sure you knew that it is next to impossible.

That said......

Yes you can issue the invitation letter from here.BUT you must have proof of your income in Canada and your ability to pay for everything should he go awol. What you earn here will not count. they want proof of income while you are there.

We are talking about a visitor visa not a resident visa. Sponsorship applies for resident visa not visitor.

E

engineerfg

Ignore all the negativity. My friend invited his gf - she went in the morning and had the bloody visa at 3pm. chaching. I helped him write the letter locally, it doesn't matter.

Jessiejayne

May 17, 2010
Thank you!

Thanks to everyone who has posted some helpful information!
I am still open to other suggestions and advice!

Jessiejayne

May 17, 2010
One more....
Did anyone need to have the invitation letter, or police cetificates notarized by a notary public?

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
nope, doesn't need to be notarized. And you don't need a police check- very very rarely will someone be asked to provide a police record check for a visitors visa. They state in the application instructions that a police record check and/or medical exam can be requested by the immigration officer, but unless there are extenuating circumstances, they won't be requested. Nothing we sent was notarized.

charliegirl

Oct 16, 2005
I have something to add to this.. Okay so should I write a letter of invitation to invite my husband to come and visit us in Canada. I am a SAHM and don't have an income but will be start working in May 2011. My husband will come to stay with us .. (me and his kids).. Should I get other people to write letters of invitation of people we will visit?
I am living in Canada now and my husband is in DR. We just sent in the application for PR. we have 2 kids together and he has had a TRV in 2009 for Canada.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Yes, Charliegirl. I think you should write the invitation letter to invite your husband. Just explain where he will be staying while there, what he'll be doing, and if you'll be working while he comes (because then he can be the SAHD) explain where you'll be working too. In the letter/application u will explain some of the people u will be seeing, but I don't think it's necessary for them to write an invitation letter. He will be there to be with you and your kids. That's the reason for him coming... not to see the other people. They're just the added bonus!