Casa del Mar ocean clarity?

J

Jensita

Is the ocean clear at casa del Mar this year? I have been there before but the water was really murky however I have my doubts that it is always this way I think that possibly the tide was high and that there was something going on with the phases of the moon that was causing more waves than usual.

If you have been to this hotel could you please post an answer to this message, as I am going soon and I was just wondering.

Thanks in advance, Jensita

E

Ellen

The water is not too clear in the Bayahibe area. I wouldn't call it murky but you cannot see your feet as in some crystal clear waters. This is just the nature of the area and doesn't mean the water isn't clean - just more stirred up than most.

J

Jensita

You know what Rebecca, I never even thought about the sand making the water murky but I bet that is the reason!!! I did notice that there was a big difference last year and I went to Saona a couple of years ago and all along from Bayahibe in the boat the water was crystal clear thats why I couldnt figure it out. Maybe the snorkling behind Terazza de Saona will be better. I am going to check it out... I will post a message about this when I return..

Thanks for the tip, I am still in shock that I didnt think of it!!!!

Jensita

R

Rebecca

I was just there. My theory is that they import sand for the beach at Casa del Mar. If you look at the sand where the private beach ends and the publice beach begins, you will see a dramitic color change in the sand (especially up by the stands where they sell stuff). I think that the sand the bring in get the water all cloudy. The water town in Bayaibe (a way from the resort) is very clear. If you want to go snorkeling I would recommend an excursion to one of the islands. Isla Catalanita is very small and private with clear snorkeling.

E

Ellen

The water at Bayahibe has always been the same... even before Casa del Mar brought in nice white sand. If you want crystal clear water I suggest you go over to the beach just past Dominicus (only a short drive). The water is absolutely gorgeous - as clear as can be.

S

Susan

To DR1: Casa del Mar sand

DR1: Is this true? Is the Casa del Mar sand brought in? Is it really necessary to do this?

R

rob

We just returned from there last week, and besides having a wonderful time we didn't find the water murky at casa del mar. A couple of days were too rough for snorkelling but other than that we had no problems.