Santo Domingo to Abreu

DE_Adventurer

Feb 21, 2011
I feel like I should be able to find this in the archives without asking, but I don't see it. So, please tell me:

What is the best method to get from the Colonial Zone on a Thursday morning to Abreu? If I rent a car, will I be able to park it at my hotel (yet TBD), or is it better to take a taxi to SDQ and pick up the car in the morning? Or should I opt for a limo/taxi for the trip to Abreu?

Assuming I drive, what is the recommended route? I don't want to miss some local sights and adventures on the way, but I also don't want to take five hours:pirate:.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Best route from the colonial zone is to take the toll highway from Santo Domingo to Sanchez, then west through Nagua and Cabrera and you arrive in Abreu. Total time aprox 2hrs 30 min.

Drive, don't take a cab, its an easy route

Last edited:

DE_Adventurer

Feb 21, 2011
After much consideration, we decided to rent a car and we are looking forward to the drive. However, a new wrinkle has emerged. One of us has to depart early, so she needs to find a ride one-way from Abreu to SDQ. The hotel is quoting US$160 which seems steep. Is there a trustworthy local agency I can contact to take one-person one-way?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
After much consideration, we decided to rent a car and we are looking forward to the drive. However, a new wrinkle has emerged. One of us has to depart early, so she needs to find a ride one-way from Abreu to SDQ. The hotel is quoting US$160 which seems steep. Is there a trustworthy local agency I can contact to take one-person one-way?

the 160 sounds about right

there are always guaguas in all the towns to get from one place to another

just ask when you get there... no worries.. the guaguas are good buses, air conditioned and safe.. it is just impossible to find the routes and times posted on the internet..

most of them stop in Santo Domingo around Parque Enriquillo or Duarte con Paris.. which can be a bit scary looking but there are always cabs about...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You might be able to hire a person to drive your rented car.... taking your friend back to SDQ.

I have hired the taxi man to drive my car instead of his.... quite reasonable... say $50 R/T plus your gas etc....... s/b about $100 the DIY way.

Or, ask at the hotel if anyone else is going to SDQ... split the costs.

WW

BTW.... what hotel in Abreu? Few and far between there

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
You might be able to hire a person to drive your rented car.... taking your friend back to SDQ.

I have hired the taxi man to drive my car instead of his.... quite reasonable... say $50 R/T plus your gas etc....... s/b about $100 the DIY way.

Or, ask at the hotel if anyone else is going to SDQ... split the costs.

WW

BTW.... what hotel in Abreu? Few and far between there

good idea and I was going to give you rep points for that but the guy would not be on the insurance if there was an accident in a rental car, right?