First timer to Cabrera...

MYI

Feb 24, 2011
Hey all-

I'm going to be staying on a beach near Cabrera for two weeks. Should I rent a car? When I was in Costa Rica, I dreaded driving because the roads were so crazy. If I do rent a car, is it possible and reasonably priced to do it in Cabrera or should I just rent at the airport in Puerta Plata?

Also, any supermarket and restaurant suggestions? Or stuff I must do while there? The place I'm staying has no Wifi and I'm only planning to check email the bare minimum but when I do, anyplace you could recommend for Wifi?

I was in Punta Cana years ago and loved it. Heard such great things about the northeast coast.

Thanks!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Driving in the DR

Hi:

I would definitely rent a car and drive the North Coast. Roads are relatively good and if you take your time you won't have any problem. I have used a car rental company in Cabarate, Univeral Car Rental. They are very good and will bring the car to you at Puerta Plata Airport. They have a website and I believe you can make a reservation there. I would get a small SUV, such as, a Chevy Tracker or Susuki Grand Vitara. This will be a lot more comfortable and on some roads you will need it. Good luck.

S

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Hi MYI,

You can rent cars in Cabrera (pm me for phone number if interested), but if you want to drive from the airport anyway, you might as well rent from the airport or nearby.

Only one 'main' supermarket in Cabrera that has imported goods, then several smaller Colmados with all the Dominican necessities. There is also a butcher, a baker, and a few fruit & veg shops in the town. If you want a bigger supermarket, you're best off stopping at Playero (about 20 min from the airport on your way to Cabrera).

There are lots of fantastic restaurants in Cabrera so it depends what sort of food/setting/price you are looking for! Let me know and I can give recommendations. I can also email you a map I have made of Cabrera with the locations of several restaurants, shops, etc. in the town, if you'd like. I can also send you a list of attractions in and around the town and their descriptions, as we prepare an orientation package containing all of this for our summer volunteer program in town.

There are a couple of internet cafes in town with wifi, and also a couple of restaurants with free wifi for customers. Two I know of are Choripan, which is a simple but tasty and well-priced restaurant right in the centre of town, and then La Catalina hotel which is about 10 min from town with a very nice restaurant/bar and a great view!!

You are sure to have a great time while in Cabrera. It is a lovely town with the friendliest of people!! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions before or whilst here.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Driving in the Cabrera area is not too difficult. Basically it is a rural area. Best restaurants, Hotel La Catalina, Chori Pan, wi-fi- Photo Bar. Enjoy- you made a very good decision! K

MYI

Feb 24, 2011
Thanks so much for taking the time to post all these great suggestions!

DIrwin

May 22, 2011
Hi! I'd be interested in receiving your list of recommendations/map/attractions as well.
My email is irwin50@aol.com.

Thinking about a day in Cabarete, a day or 2? in Cabrera, 5 days in Las Terrenas and 2 in Santiago.
What do you think? Thanks!

Debbie

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Driving in the Cabrera area is not too difficult. Basically it is a rural area. Best restaurants, Hotel La Catalina, Chori Pan, wi-fi- Photo Bar. Enjoy- you made a very good decision! K

Monarka car wash..... best food in town.

They say the Chinese place is good too.... both - on the square and at the Isla

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
Hi! I'd be interested in receiving your list of recommendations/map/attractions as well.

Thinking about a day in Cabarete, a day or 2? in Cabrera, 5 days in Las Terrenas and 2 in Santiago.

Debbie

LT to santiago is quite a haul and basically the best route is back the way you came unless you have a very sturdy vehicle and good spanish skills. personally i'd skip santiago and spend the extra days at one of the other places.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

If you fly into POP... you're itinerary will be easier w/ Cabarete/Santiago at the start then Cabera then LT......Then the long haul back to POP.... 4 hours or so

Debbie Irwin

May 30, 2011
I've come to my senses and plan on doing just that, Ben.
Can you tell me what the drive time is between Las Terrenas and Cabrera?

Right now my plan is to fly into Santo Domingo, drive 2 hours to Las Terrenas, stay there for 6 days, then drive ? hours to Cabrera and stay there for 6 days, then fly out of Puerto Plata (1 1/2 hour drive from Cabrera?)

Any suggestions are more than welcomed. Also trying to decide whether to stay at Alisei or rent a villa.....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
LT to Cabrera is about 2 hours

Cabrera to POP airport is about 1 1/2 hours

Both the above on #5..... small wiggle in Nagua on your way from LT when you bear right to follow #5 to Cabrera
It's marked ...... Dominican style - but marked..... small sign on the right just before the angle turn right.