Newcomer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd63

Feb 25, 2011
doughertydoherty.synthasite.com
We am planning to stay in the puerto Plata area from October 1, 2011 until the week before Christmas. Not having any information or knowledge about the area I plan to visit the area April 10-17 this year to get a feel for the area. First where is the best/most reasonable place to stay during that time and what is the best area to rent a 2br unit for Oct-Dec. We are two seniors that presently spend 6 months each year in Puerto Rico and want to try anothe are. Naturaly cost is inportant to us and location. Some place within walking distance of shopping, beach and night life is important. Any assistance will be greatly apprediated. Thanks

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Interested in why you chose Puerto Plata? I think you will have a difficult time finding what you want in Puerto Plata proper. Probably one of the resort towns, i.e. Cabarete, may offer more of what you are looking for. Night life in Puerto Plata is not for the faint of heart.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We am planning to stay in the puerto Plata area from October 1, 2011 until the week before Christmas. Not having any information or knowledge about the area I plan to visit the area April 10-17 this year to get a feel for the area. First where is the best/most reasonable place to stay during that time and what is the best area to rent a 2br unit for Oct-Dec. We are two seniors that presently spend 6 months each year in Puerto Rico and want to try anothe are. Naturaly cost is inportant to us and location. Some place within walking distance of shopping, beach and night life is important. Any assistance will be greatly apprediated. Thanks

Tom, I sent you an email.

tomd63

Feb 25, 2011
Dr

Not knowing anything about DR I chose Puerto Plata but now know it is not the place to start. I have made contact with people in other areas that are a bit better for what we need. I am however having difficulty finding any flights from San Juan (SJU) to Pureto Plata (POP) most go from SJU to JFK and then POP any suggestions on that delima. Thanks for all the responses

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Try flying into Santiago airport instead of Puerto Plata. We can have a reliable taxi pick you up and get you to the north shore.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Depending on where you are located in the States: Jet Blue and Spirit have great prices for flying into STI. The big beef is that they get here in the wee morning hours.

I say: "So what? They are cheap flights and I can always sleep some other time!!"

If you do not have health issues that require top of the line medical care, you are well advised to think places like Cabrera, R?o San Juan, Nagua, even Las Galeras and Las Terrenas and other locations. Do not forget Montecristi and Luperon (an interesting crowd in Luperon) Even my sacred Punta Ruc?a has a lot to offer for a 3 month stay.

So you are very well advised to look around those few days you are here and explore all of the great possibilities..

IF you have health issues, then come and stay in Santiago and have the beach 1:15 to 1:30 away...but health care just 3-5 minutes away.

HB

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I agree with Hillbilly. And also you may find Cabarete to your liking. It tends to attract a more diverse crowd,lots of restaurants and beach front places. BUT slightly more expensive then some other areas.

For your first trip, why stay in one place? Why not do a month in Cabarete, a month in Santiago and a month in Samana? Then next year you will know what you really like.

Jan 17, 2009
Not knowing anything about DR I chose Puerto Plata but now know it is not the place to start. I have made contact with people in other areas that are a bit better for what we need. I am however having difficulty finding any flights from San Juan (SJU) to Pureto Plata (POP) most go from SJU to JFK and then POP any suggestions on that delima. Thanks for all the responses

American Airlines flies from San Juan to Puerto Plata. A new airline is supposed to start soon -- Turks and Caicos Air.

tomd63

Feb 25, 2011
Now that I have picked a place in Cabarete, thanks to all your comments, I need a bit of assistance getting there from Santo Domingo. I will take a taxi to the Caribe Tour Bus terminal first.....Does anyone know the cost of that taxi ride and how far is it? Then I take the Caribe Tour Bus to Sosua which takes about 4.5 hours where I will be picked up and taken to the place I rented. Does anyone know what the cost of the bus from Santo Domingo to Sousa is? I am sure looking forward to the week ling visit with hopes of a much longer stay next year. Thanks to everybody for all your help. Tom

Jan 17, 2009
If their schedule fits you, may I suggest you take Metro bus instead of Caribe Tours? Better and cleaner buses, no loud music for hours playing on the speakers, less stops, safer drivers, just a dollar or two more expensive. I took this bus recently but can't remember the exact cost; it's around RD$350.

Metro leaves Santo Domingo to Sosua at: 7am, 11am and 4pm only though.

A cab from Santo Domingo (if you mean the airport SDQ not somewhere in town) is going to cost you between USD30-35. Travel time, between 30-45 minutes depending on the time of the day and traffic.

Make sure you bring a light sweater with you for your bus ride and try seating in the front rows. It gets awfully cold in the back rows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.