"How to speak Dominican"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
Hi everyone! Does anyone take the so called, "How to speak Dominican" or they talk about how to be Dominican or act Dominican, stuff like that. Can I take these guys seriously or am I simply being taken for a ride? Especially when it comes to Dominican slang? I am really lost on this one. Thanks for helping anyone and can you let me know about any internet links to some good bachata radio stations in Dominican Republic?
Biggs

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Slang is popular in the DR but not of great importance if you are learning Spanish

I moved your post to a separate thread and deleted the duplicate one because it's not part of the topic of either thread in which you posted it.

I read your post several times and I am not completely sure what you are asking but I think you want to know about colloquial speech meaning speaking the way Dominicans do which includes a lot of slang and regional words. Please clarify or correct me if I am wrong about the intent of your post but what I mentioned above I believe is the gist. As well the title of your mini blog entry gives me an idea of what you are trying to inquire about.

Do you speak Spanish at all? From your past posts you indicated that you would like to learn since it's a heritage language for you. If that's the case that should be your focus rather than slang and sounding Dominican per se. In a general sense slang is an aspect of language that people learn along the way and pick up in colloquial speech just from interacting with Dominicans on a daily basis. If you do not live in the DR or interact with Dominicans or even other Spanish speakers where you do live, learning slang could be a challenge but learning Spanish is absolutely possible. However, it is good to know some slang if you hear it and especially certain words and expressions.

Here is a popular link on the net that you should find helpful. It has a lot of slang and colloquial expressions that are interesting:

The way Dominicans Speak in Dominican Republic, Dominicanismos.

-marianoP.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks for helping anyone and can you let me know about any internet links to some good bachata radio stations in Dominican Republic?
Biggs

Biggs, go to Repblica Dominicana Completa. Portal Dominicano and you will find links to a ton of online Dominican radio stations - as well as online versions of all the Dominican newspapers.

My husband is addicted to that page....

AE

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Biggs, go to Repblica Dominicana Completa. Portal Dominicano and you will find links to a ton of online Dominican radio stations - as well as online versions of all the Dominican newspapers.

My husband is addicted to that page....

AE

Super link - Thanks very much!
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Read newspapers (Listin Diario, Diario Libre and El Caribe are probably the best written).

Try and learn proper Spanish, and do not, for heaven's sake, try and "sound" like a Dominican...you end up sounding like an idiot, and will not gain a lot of respect,except among the low life..and that will be sarcastic respect at best, after all you have the cash that they want.

Do not try and lisp, like idiot TV and radio announcers do when talking about Mr. Jimeneth, or Mr. Olathabal....leave the "th"s for the Spanish announcers, they don't know any better.

Spanish is easy: Ah eh ee oh ou only vowel sounds... the "rr" is like the TT in cattle or battle, really...

Okay, the verbs are nasty...lots of forms, but we just use three or four of them most times.

But read and listen to the way professionals speak...(I know, some of them are pretty nasty in their use of the language, too.)...If you want good models, find an educated Colombian...they are like the mid-Ohio accent of Latin American Spanish...

End of class

HB

Another thought. If you are into sports, like baseball, tune into the games on television. ESPN and FOX carry games and so does the Cuban channel...You can pick up a lot listening and SEEING...

A lot of NBA basketball is on Spanish language channels too and some of the Spanish Basketball League as well.

Reactions: MaineGirl
Status
Not open for further replies.