snakes of the Dominican Republic

J

JoAnn

I'm planning a visit to Punta Cana at the end of June ... I was wondering about the snakes of the Dominican Republic. Are there any posionous snakes?

O

Oberon

Yes a lot....., Cobra's, Phyton, Anaconda we have all of them...
;-)

J

JoAnn

Are you serious? Are they found in the resort areas ... in the south ... Punta Cana?

H

hillbilly

Forget that clown's note!! Read on...

There are no poisonous snakes on the island. Don't know why but that is so.
There are some constrictor-type snakes, which can grow large, but i really doubt thatyou will ever see any. in my banana farms, we used too have little green snakes that the guys would kill, but i showed them that they were harmless-much to their surprise that i would even touch one!! The only negative thing about it was that they stunk!! As bas as a skunk!
So don't worry about htem. Go and enjoy.

HB

J

JoAnn

Re: Forget that clown's note!! Read on...

Thank you Hillbilly ... I was a bit worried.

W

Walker

Not, thanks to god, in the in this island only some politicians have arsenic in they tongues...and the small, friendly ones we have here is difficult to meet you in tha area.

H

Henry

Like Hillbilly said, there are no dangerous snakes in this country! We do have various kinds of Boas, but they are very rarely found in houses! (As you may know, Boas are harmless!)
The other snakes are just as innocent!

You may find (If you are realy looking in the bush) some wolfspiders, which could throw you some irritating hair from their abdomen or a scorpion or two which may sting as a bee!

But if you stay in the Area of the Hotels, there is everything clean and it is very hard, to find something like the above!

Enjoy your stay!

Henry

M

Mercy

I was about ready to believe Mr. Oberon. I lived in the D.R. most of my life and never saw snakes, except for tiny green ones in the woods, which scared the angels out of me. Nevertheless, when I came to Louisiana I was told about all the poisonous snakes here and I'm still frightning of the thought of them, even though I have not had the bad experience of being surprised by one yet.
Good luck to you JoAnn. Enjoy your trip!

J

JoAnn

Thanks so much you guys ... for the giggle as well as the information ... I feel much better about visiting the D.R. now .. I hear it's absolutely beautiful. Thanks again.

N

Natasha

To Mercy

Mi papa trabajo' en un trabajo de disen~o de tuberias para Monsanto en el 1979. Vivimos por un an~o en St. Charles parish (creo que todavia le llaman parish a lo que se llama aqui en Virginia condado, no?) y alli empece a aprender ingles, en ese tiempo solo tenia diez an~os y tengo muchas gratas memorias de ese estado y la ciudad de Nueva Orleans. El el 1980 regresamos a SD y perdi' bastante el ingles que habia adquirido. Lamentablemente nunca visitamos a Baton Rouge, pero a mi papa' se le pego' la "fiebre" de manejar casi todos los fines de semana a un sitio diferente: Mobile, Alabama, Missisippi, el golfo de Texas. Te puedes imaginar? Dominicanos guiando por todo el "deep South" de los EEUU sin saber mucho ingles? A site to be seen, LOL!

A proposito, la primera culebra que vi en mi vida fue en Louisiana, en el patio de la casa que rentabamos. Mi mama' JAMAS quiso pisar el patio de nuevo, LOL.

Saludos,
Natasha

M

Mercy

Re: To Natasha

Natasha,
Si quieres enviame un e-mail para copiar tu direccion electronica, asi podremos conversar acerca de las experiencias de Louisiana y la vida en USA.
Mercedes.

S

Sean

I spent nine months in the DR recently and saw a grand total of one snake during my entire time there. Two little kids were torturing it with a stick. Definitely no poisonous snakes at all.

A

A. Nony Mouse

Watch out for the Merengue snake!

This snake is found in discos all over tourist areas. The Sanky Pankys carry it in their pants for good luck!

B

Bob McKenzie

Re: Watch out for the Merengue snake!

Incredible! It must be related to the British 'Trousersnake' then which is becoming quite commonplace these days. Studies here report that most of them are oviparous, they generally come out at night and have to be handled with care, and, after growing large they shed their skins with abandon.

P

puchungita

Re: To Mercy

mercy , me doy cuento que usas un clavero ingles..para edcribir la ? ? ? hay que hacer alt 164 juntos.. y ya lo tienes

L

Lady

So Basically....

So basically the snakes are more harmless than the people!!!!!

L

Larry

Did anyone notice the little emoticon on the second line of Oberon's post? Obviously he was making a joke.