road trips from santiago

aes

Feb 27, 2011
Does anyone have suggestions on roadtrips from santiago? We have a car. I was thinking constanza? the waterfall maybe the national park? I have non trekkers with me so it has to be more car geared than hiking tho an hour or two meandering on foot probably wouldn't cause too much of an outcry. I read the barahona drive is gorgeous but from here I think that would be a multi day trip. We're looking more at doing day trips rather than overnights outside santiago. Any thoughts? Any must eat stops along the way etc.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) Up to La Cumbre and the Ecological Park. You can eat up there or at one of the fried meat places on the way up or down (El Humazo is a personal favorite, watch for it on a curve as you go up the mountain)
This is the Gregorio Lubperon Carretera Tur?stico, the old, old road to Puerto Plata, and now nearly unusable. Go slow.
2) Go to San Jose de las Matas for a day in pine forests and cooler than the valley. Eat anywhere, ask the locals.
3) Jarabacoa!! Go up and eat in the middle of town, take your bathing suits and swim at the lucky waterfalls on the way South, out of town---just ask how to get to Los Padres or los bsalnearios...the water is icy cold.
4) Constanza is a doable day trip.
5) Montecristi for fresh lobster and good eating...
6) Sos?a Beach, still one of the bright spots and lots to see and do.

With the exeption of Constanza and Montecristi, all are under two hours.

HB