Police Corruption

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
Had a very frustrating experience driving from Punta Cana to SD.
Pulled over by the traffic police due to not having a "current" rego sticker.
Not only was he going to give us a fine but he was going to take the car till we got a sticker.

After 10 min of heat discussion and him demanding money the police super viser finally came over and told us that we are luckly this time but we need to get the rego sticker.

This lead to a mad goose chase trying to find the government department to buy the sticker in Higuey. We ended up at some farmers shed which usually issues the stickers, but turns out there is no new sticker for another 2 months and the one on our car is still valid!

Anyone else had any dodgy scams pulled on them from corrupt police??

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
It's good idea to have all the papers and stickers up–to–date before you blame somebody for corruption. It's illegal to drive without marbete, so what did you expect him to say?

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
The car without up–to–date marbete MUST be sent to the impound lot. So, if it's your fault that you don't have the sticker, you have 2 options when stopped by police:

1. The police can have your car taken into the impound lot.
2. You give them 200 pesos for Pica Pollo and forget about the incident. Sometimes corruption isn't so bad, right?

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
By the way, I see only one scam in this situation: no car and no money left to the police, although they had the right for both. ;)

Last edited:

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Hernandez, did you read the full post? He clearly states that the sticker on his car is still valid!

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Is the car yours? If so, be sure to know exactly what it's status is at all times. The burden of proof is on you, not the police.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
If he was talking about the marbete (rego/licence plate tax sticker), the 2010 marbete is valid until October or November of this year.

If he was talking about the revista, the 2010 revista is valid until next revista in 2011 or 2012.

If he had both 2010 marbete and revista on the windshield, police couldn't say that he needs new stickers.

If he had 2009 marbete, it's expired. If he had 2008 revista (there was no revista in 2009), it's expired too. Very simple.

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
If he was talking about the marbete (rego/licence plate tax sticker), the 2010 marbete is valid until October or November of this year.

If he was talking about the revista, the 2010 revista is valid until next revista in 2011 or 2012.

If he had both 2010 marbete and revista on the windshield, police couldn't say that he needs new stickers.

If he had 2009 marbete, it's expired. If he had 2008 revista (there was no revista in 2009), it's expired too. Very simple.

Thank you for finally reading my whole post Hernadez!
Yes the Marbete and Revista are both valid (2010) The scam was the police was asking for the 2011 sticker and was clearing asking for a bribe to let us go.
My girlfriend who is Dominican said this has happened to her several times in the past, being stopped by police for no clear reason and then attempted to get some bribe from her.
Are you in the police by any chance Hernadez??

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Are you in the police by any chance Hernadez??

No, of course.

But there is no 2011 marbete, period. No hay.

They can stop you for no clear reason, but "marbete 2011"... lol, if that happened to me, I would just start to laugh, really. Because that is not about the corruption, that is about their extreme level of stupidity, so it must be posted here in the Humor section.