Looks like the days of 2 free checked bags to DR now officialy over

edm7583

May 29, 2007
AA really sneaked this one up on us. For years after fees for all bags were applied for domestic flights. AA maintained 2 free bags to the non-US Caribbean and Central America. (They know their customer base) I just checked in for my flight to SDQ and it's now 1 bag free, 2nd for $30. I'm usually pretty on the ball with following baggage fee changes, (like with spirit, which are changing all the time), but this one was a surprise to me and many others at the check in counter this morning going to DR, and places like Jamaica, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica. It applies to flights ticketed after 2/10/11

I bought the ticket for this trip 4 days later :ermm:

American Airlines Changes To Checked Bag Charges On AA.com

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
That is a surprise. When I bought my ticket on AA for flight to US this summer, I checked to be sure and the info then was 2 bags free to and from Caribbean.

Now that AA will charge for two bags, I doubt Delta will continue with 2 free bags.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Didn't know that about Delta. Just checked their website. I guess it would fall under "other international destinations" on their baggage policy , for many other caribbean destinations and mexico they only allow 1 bag. Unfortunately, delta does NOT work for me in Florida.

And after a lousy flight today on AA, I can honestly say that I can't understand how people complain about Spirit. Each time I fly AA, the difference between them and Spirit becomes less and less (with one exception- price.)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Free Bags

Hi:

You can still check one and carry one on. It does not surprise me though. Stand at the exit as people come out of immigration at Las Americas in SD and see how much luggage is being brought in. Some people, without kids, have 3 and four large bags.

S

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We travel with 3 people and usually take nine check ins, usually two that overweight. We then carry three carryons and my wife and mother-in-law have purses the size of houses. I'm the dude that has to carry and move all this luggage. We pay extra everytime, regardless of airline.

Aug 19, 2004
If you are coming from the UK to the DR with AA you can still take 2 bags free of charge. However coming back it would appear only the 1 bag rule applies. My wife managed to get both bags through at JFK free of charge but several people ended up having to pay. Clear inconsistency that travellers need to be aware of.