A paint question.....Lanco

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I understand that this is the paint that I need for both internal and external re-painting:

9ar67p.jpg

To save me doing all the 'leg work', would those of you along the POP/ Sosua/ Cabarete/ Sabaneta/ Gasper Hernandez part of the North coast be able to tell me where it is readily available in white and a range of colours and prices for 1 and 5 gallon containers? Thanks.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Why do you need sealing paint? We used that on our roof, but for the exterior and interior walls we just used Tropical acrylic paint. Just curious...because that stuff is a lot more expensive.

We also tried King brand, cheaper than Tropical and looks great...not sure it will hold up as well though, time will tell.

AE

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Well, I was under the impression that the Lanco seal-coat paint would not peel as some of the Tropical has - there tend to be patches on both walls and ceilings internally which will just not 'hold' the paint for any length of time.

The outside areas which have already been painted with the Lanco have held up far better than other paints.

If there are better ideas, especially if they are less expensive, then I would welcome the suggestions please...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We had a few areas like that too Whirleybird. They scraped away the loose paint and applied a primer to that area several hours before painting the entire wall/ceiling. We did the same thing several years ago after a roof leak ruined a corner of the ceiling in one room, and it's still perfect.

AE

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
a4v5fd.jpg

As you can see the roof is a tiled pitched concrete roof and there are no leaks and no need for maintenance....

Internal ceilings and walls just peel in places (not all over) so is the Lanco Seal-coat the answer? Prices, availability and cheaper alternatives anyone?

What paint would you recommend for external concrete balustrades and walls?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It's less the paint and more the surface prep.

The best paint will peel from a dirty surface.

The best way to paint exterior concrete is cleaning (pressure and/or TSP-trisodium phosphate), a quality primer coat and THEN exterior paint. The first two make the paint last.

And remember: paint isn't color. Paint is protection.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I really appreciate your advice guys and AE but, please bear in mind that I am just a non DIY gringa who does not know my TSP-trisodium phosphate from a gallon of Ajax chloro nor my primer from acrylic semi-gloss!!

Cost is a big consideration for me at the moment and therefore I think my best bet is to have someone visit and give me advice in a few months time when I may be in a position to actually get the job done.

I doubt that the sand used in construction of this property some 15 years ago + was beach sand - it was German built and constructed to a very high standard (but I don't actually 'know' of course).

A few costings and availability of what I might need would still be helpful as I mentioned in my OP.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I really appreciate your advice guys and AE but, please bear in mind that I am just a non DIY gringa who does not know my TSP-trisodium phosphate from a gallon of Ajax chloro nor my primer from acrylic semi-gloss!!

Cost is a big consideration for me at the moment and therefore I think my best bet is to have someone visit and give me advice in a few months time when I may be in a position to actually get the job done.

I doubt that the sand used in construction of this property some 15 years ago + was beach sand - it was German built and constructed to a very high standard (but I don't actually 'know' of course).

A few costings and availability of what I might need would still be helpful as I mentioned in my OP.

TSP comes in a powder form and it is inexpensive. You mix it with hot water, stir and scrub your walls, floor, or ceiling with it. Wear rubber gloves as it can burn your skin. Rinse area and let dry. All the mold, mildew, oil, and grease will be off your area if done correctly. Apply primer- let cure. Next day put on your paint.

hi3cmz

Oct 19, 2009
To answer the quastion where to get the Lanco product, Ferreteria Ochoa, in Santiago has them in stock... cost between 4000 ~ 5000 pesos / 5 gal.