building codes, rural.

ontheland

Mar 4, 2011
Just wanted to ask if there are any building codes that differ for farming shed/workshop construction to houses?
I know in some countries that work shed construction on a private farms are not subject to as strict a code/permits as residential housing is.
Hillbilly?
Bob S?
Or any engineers out there know?
Do I need permits, engineers reports and costly architects plans?
Can I do rammed earth, earthbag or sandbag construction for work sheds on a private farm?

ontheland

Mar 4, 2011
Really? no one knows about farm work sheds?
Or even who to contact about it? Other farmers, engineers?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My thoughts are that there are very few or no very strict regulations on these structures.
I would imagine that the plans would need to be approved by the local jurisdiction (town, municipality, city) depending on where. If you ask around the locals will tell you, or at least let you know...who to see..

HB

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We just built a garage, tripled the size of the kitchen, built a raised 35'x20' terrazzo, and put up a 12-tall block wall on our property/house in the campo. We needed a building permit only for the front wall. The inspector who showed up said they only care about front walls, no permits for the side or back walls [?????? how odd is that??????]. I don't remember the cost, I think the permit was 6000 pesos.

AE