Whats that? An oil rig coming to Cabarete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
It certainly looks like it. The derrick looks a little big though.

My internet is terribly slow, so I only saw it in frames, but it looks like a permanent installation drilling rig. This is the type that has permanent legs that hold it to the seabed, as opposed to a jack-up rig type that can move away after the drilling is complete.

Maybe it is on its way to Cuba. I hear they struck a deal with China to drill some exploratory wells.

I think it is great if it parks here. It would make my commute to work a lot shorter.

Thanks for posting this.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Because of the gulf oil drilling/extraction ban by the US administration, most of the rigs are leaving, headed to where they can be used.

I suspect that one is in transit.

miozio

May 23, 2009
Because of the gulf oil drilling/extraction ban by the US administration, most of the rigs are leaving, headed to where they can be used.

I suspect that one is in transit.

It's surely heading east - might be coming from the Mexican Gulf and NOT going to Cuba as it's in the opposite direction. I was just so afraid that it stops here and starts drilling without my permission :) Anyone from Cabarete oceanfront?

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My bet: It is heading to Brazil where there is a humongous off-shore field undergoing exploitation now. More oil than most of the Middle East, according tothe Economist.

HB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My bet: It is heading to Brazil where there is a humongous off-shore field undergoing exploitation now. More oil than most of the Middle East, according tothe Economist.

HB

He should turn south soon then!!

miozio

May 23, 2009

HB

But it's not going South, it must be somewhere near Las Terrenas now if they didn't stop in Cabarete. )))

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
It's surely heading east - might be coming from the Mexican Gulf and NOT going to Cuba as it's in the opposite direction. I was just so afraid that it stops here and starts drilling without my permission :) Anyone from Cabarete oceanfront?

Oil equals jobs and more. Maybe you need to find somewhere else to retire/ vacation. :rolleyes:

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008

HB

I'm pretty sure that the Brazilian oil discovery was in deep water. The rig in the video is not suitable for deep water drilling.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Tourism equals jobs here! FULL STOP! There will be no tourism if they dig here!

The term is ?drill?. Believe me, a petro-industrial infusion/ revolution would do wonders for the DR; much more than tourism.

Also consider that both tourism and oil exploitation are possible, which is the case in Barbados, Trinidad & Tobago, and many others.

miozio

May 23, 2009
The term is ?drill?. Believe me, a petro-industrial infusion/ revolution would do wonders for the DR; much more than tourism.

Also consider that both tourism and oil exploitation are possible, which is the case in Barbados, Trinidad & Tobago, and many others.
See what it does to 3rd world countries. Iraq is a good example. This is not Kansas

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I'm totally amazed that such a post about the same thing I saw today on the sea could develop into such a load of nonsense!

I was hoping someone had a real answer but,in typical DR1 fashion, if you know nothing, post cr*p and ....invent BS.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I'm totally amazed that such a post about the same thing I saw today on the sea could develop into such a load of nonsense!

I was hoping someone had a real answer but,in typical DR1 fashion, if you know nothing, post cr*p and ....invent BS.

It is called an exchange of dialog. Nobody has "invented" anything.

Lighten up douchebag.

Reactions: Celt202

holland1974

Aug 13, 2008
I saw the same boat or one very much like it going the opposite way empty about 3 weeks ago whilst out deep sea fishing.

bayman

Jan 23, 2010
This is a semi submersible exploration drilling rig, being transported from one location to another, onboard a heavy lift transport vessel. This is called a 'dry tow' rather than being towed by a tug.
If heang North, could be to US Gulf of Mexico, or goinf south, to Brasil.
Typical dayrates for a semi at present is abt US$350,00 per day.
A deep water semi is booked to drill offshore Cuba in next few months

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
This is a semi submersible exploration drilling rig, being transported from one location to another, onboard a heavy lift transport vessel. This is called a 'dry tow' rather than being towed by a tug.
If heang North, could be to US Gulf of Mexico, or goinf south, to Brasil.
Typical dayrates for a semi at present is abt US$350,00 per day.
A deep water semi is booked to drill offshore Cuba in next few months

Thanks for clarifying. I couldn't make it out from the video.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Is a zero missing? Just curious. And yes, I had forgotten about oil in Barbados and I skipped T&T as a possible destination.

Maybe someone like "Baynan" can tell us?? What a great and informative post!

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.