Fresh vegetables exportation rises 34% in 2010

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
According to recent reports, the exportation of fresh veggies from the DR 34% in 2010 increased with the major consumers being the US and Canada.

I guess this doesn't bode well for the anti CAFTA's and anti world free traders (ie atheists/anarchists)!

La Informacion Digital

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
According to recent reports, the exportation of fresh veggies from the DR 34% in 2010 increased with the major consumers being the US and Canada.

I guess this doesn't bode well for the anti CAFTA's and anti world free traders (ie atheists/anarchists)!

La Informacion Digital

Where in the world did you get your last statement from.? I don't see the connection.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
.... As far as the reference to "atheists" I suppose not all anarchists are atheists but I couldn't help myself. :)

255lx80.gif

Why is everyone always picking on me?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
While I am grateful for the boc choy and snowpeas in the local market

and am glad that exports are up

You ought to understand, Chip, that not all those who oppose the current trade pacts are either anarchists or atheists either or both
some are actually

pro business, right leaning think tanks

like the Cato institute

Who Pays for Farm Subsidies? | Marian L. Tupy | Cato Institute: Daily Commentary

"free trade" with either the US or EU is simply not possible with the level of subsidies which are now in place

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I don't doubt that US subsidies can be harmful and even contrary to the purported goal of "free trade", nonetheless I think it can be said is some aspects it has benefitted the Dominican agricultural sector primarily because of increased competetion. I have maintained for some time that a common tactic here in the DR is to monopolize a sector and then once the competitors are gone raise prices and lower service or both. Competition makes it difficult for businesses with these type of attitudes to survive.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I don't doubt that US subsidies can be harmful and even contrary to the purported goal of "free trade", nonetheless I think it can be said is some aspects it has benefitted the Dominican agricultural sector primarily because of increased competetion. I have maintained for some time that a common tactic here in the DR is to monopolize a sector and then once the competitors are gone raise prices and lower service or both. Competition makes it difficult for businesses with these type of attitudes to survive.

That's the way Walmart works. There are only three or four vegetables/fruits showing up in the stores we shop in from the DR. If only Dominican avocados would show up, mmmm.
Canada has free trade with Colombia and this has resulted in lots of tropical fruits at good prices. Cheap grapes from Chile also.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
While I am grateful for the boc choy and snowpeas in the local market

and am glad that exports are up

You ought to understand, Chip, that not all those who oppose the current trade pacts are either anarchists or atheists either or both
some are actually

pro business, right leaning think tanks

like the Cato institute

Who Pays for Farm Subsidies? | Marian L. Tupy | Cato Institute: Daily Commentary

"free trade" with either the US or EU is simply not possible with the level of subsidies which are now in place

Excuse me MA, the CATO institute is Libertarian but NOT right wing, strictly free enterprise.The Cato Institute is a public policy research organization — a think tank — dedicated to the principles of individual liberty, limited government, free markets and peace. Its scholars and analysts conduct independent, nonpartisan research on a wide range of policy issues.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
That's the way Walmart works. There are only three or four vegetables/fruits showing up in the stores we shop in from the DR. If only Dominican avocados would show up, mmmm.
Canada has free trade with Colombia and this has resulted in lots of tropical fruits at good prices. Cheap grapes from Chile also.

Dominican avocados are available in Florida and I don't know why they wouldn't market them in other areas; maybe because of demand?

With regard to Walmart, is they are using monpolistic tactis they should be checked. One thing the American system has been good at is creating laws as needed as people/businesses have found a way to monopolize markets. One thing is for sure and that is that Walmart has benefitted a great deal of people, like myself.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Excuse me MA, the CATO institute is Libertarian but NOT right wing, strictly free enterprise.The Cato Institute is a public policy research organization ? a think tank ? dedicated to the principles of individual liberty, limited government, free markets and peace. Its scholars and analysts conduct independent, nonpartisan research on a wide range of policy issues.
Many folks think everything not "liberal" is right-wing reactionary.

Not so.

CATO is hardly "right wing." They have always been libertarian.

This is a "teaching moment.":)