Supporting a girlfriend in the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

captboink

Mar 3, 2011
I have been supporting a woman and her 2 kids in the Dr for a little over 3 years now. I broke up with her in mid February on my last visit and have had no contact with her since. Of course, she has been trying to contact me almost daily. My question is: Can she have me arrested for non-support when I return to the DR?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Are you serious....with a name like Captboink, you should have changed your phone number and email address the day she threw you out, are you new?

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
new to what, the DR? She didn't throw me out, it was the other way around.

If you are feeling guilty about cutting off the kids, buy them school uniforms, tennies, and some crayons, but DO NOT send her any more cash.

I am sure Dr. Guzman will give you a "legal" opinon here.

Capt Boink is a great name, just live up to it!

captboink

Mar 3, 2011
thank you

i love the kids as my own and am returning to the DR in April. had just heard a story about possibly going to jail behind this. intend to talk to her and the kids when i get back.

am new to this DR1 form. will the guy answer my question automatically or do i have to ask him specifically?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
thank you

i love the kids as my own and am returning to the DR in April. had just heard a story about possibly going to jail behind this. intend to talk to her and the kids when i get back.

am new to this DR1 form. will the guy answer my question automatically or do i have to ask him specifically?

He will reply when he has some free time but here is what he has said in the past. It might help if you clarify some points like, is anything in your name, lease, debts etc.

Common law marriages do not exist in the Dominican Republic. Living together is never equivalent to a normal marriage. However, certain provisions in the Labor Code, the Minors Code and the Criminal Code acknowledge that living together has legal consequences. For example, a worker has the right to a few days off work if his concubine gives birth to his child; domestic violence to a concubine is treated the same as domestic violence to a wife. A Supreme Court decisiion in 2001 gave a surviving concubine the right to sue for the wrongful death of her companion in an automobile accident under very restrictive conditions: a) the couple must have lived as if they were husband and wife, in a public relationship, not hidden or secret; b) the relationship must be stable and long-lasting; c) the relationship must be monogamous and non-adulterous since its origins ; and d) the couple should be of different sexes. The ruling goes on to say expressly that "marriage and extra matrimonial companionship are not . . equivalent realities”.

A bill was introduced in Congress some time ago to create common law marriages. I doubt it will ever pass since the Catholic Church is dead set against it.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have moved the thread.

If you are not married and the kids are not yours, then you have nothing "legally" to worry about.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I have been supporting a woman and her 2 kids in the Dr for a little over 3 years now. I broke up with her in mid February on my last visit and have had no contact with her since. Of course, she has been trying to contact me almost daily. My question is: Can she have me arrested for non-support when I return to the DR?

Yea, man, why dont you give her a 2nd chance? Come on man, she talks so much about and we could use a new plasma TV in the house. She has said she has been so lonely since[the money sent by] you had been long gone.

Screw her man, Cap'n Boink. Not your children not your problem. Any further contact with her is just her trying to upsell you into rekindling some lame ass relationship were she just bitches about needing you to send more money. Your call.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
tough

It will be tough on the kids after living for a while with the added money but its difficult to help the kids and not her unless you directly buy them the clothes, school stuff etc. Long distance relationships are hard. Nothing wrong with your name but it generally boink is slang for "screw" beginning with an F. Other poster thought it funny that with that moniker you were asking about advice in dealing with women. (thats my best guess). Threee years is a long time invested. Good luck but you dont owe her anything legally from my non legal poing of view.

YUL514

Aug 28, 2010
The way I understand,the civil law in the Dominican Republic is under the Napoleonic Code.Quebec Canada is the same.The law does not recognise a live-in girlfriend as a wife.On the other hand,in the DR ,if your name is on the kids' birth certificate, you are the father even if they don't have your DNA.To be safe,wait for Sr.Guzman answer
Good luck
Mike

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
The way I understand,the civil law in the Dominican Republic is under the Napoleonic Code.Quebec Canada is the same.The law does not recognise a live-in girlfriend as a wife.On the other hand,in the DR ,if your name is on the kids' birth certificate, you are the father even if they don't have your DNA.To be safe,wait for Sr.Guzman answerGood luck
Mike

Sr. Guzman may not respond as the thread has been removed from the Legal Forum. I'm not sure he reads this forum.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The children aren't yours.

Quite a few Dominican men have no problem walking away from their own children, sometimes passing them on the street without anything more than a casual, passing glance.

Apparently the father/s of these children have done the same. If they don't feel bad about not supporting these children, why would you, especially if you're being threatened with legal action?

Think about that. How many children do you know in the DR where the father is never around?

If she is threatening you, which it sounds like it is (maybe you'd like to fill us in on those details, it would help us to know the whole story) maybe you'd like to re-arrange your travel plans and just go somewhere else until this nonsense blows over.

The world is a big place. If you are looking for fun in the sun, there are many other places you can go to enjoy a stress-free vacation experience.

That would be the best way to put this situation in the rear view mirror.

And you need to stop taking her calls. She is playing you for a pendejo, and your attachment to these kids is being used against you.

Foreigners with a heart of gold are seen by people like your ex-girlfriend as a sucker, and in Dominican society there is no quarter given to suckers.

Regardless of what the law states, the second you land you could be in for problems. That's how it is in such a corrupt environment. If your ex-girlfriend has any friends that are cops or military personnel, these people could set up a basic scenario where it would be easy to extort money from you, and the law won't be there to help.

You could also be hit with an "impedimento de salida" and not be able to leave until the situation is cleared up. Why bother with all this drama? If these kids are being raised in such a household, they'll only grow up to be tigres or cueros anyway. So forget the school uniforms and the sneakers and keep it moving in another direction.

So my advice to you is, STEP OFF.

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

Grow a pair and stop being a sucker, They are not your kids plain and simple, you have no reasons legal, moral or otherwise to help them out so get on a plane get down there and enjoy your time in the sun and stop taking on responsibilities that you wouldnt do in your own country.

Reactions: Berzin
Feb 15, 2005
I understand your thinking since 3 years of consistently sending money monthly becomes part of your life. It becomes almost obligatory, more than a monthly cable bill or cell phone bill. After a while you feel these kids are depending on you for their well-being.
That being said, your relationship is over and like other here have said, you'll just become a sucker paycheck.
Picture this bro, you are sending $100 or $200 dollars monthly. You no longer have a sexual or emotional relationship with the moms and she has moved on to another relationship. She's having regular sex with another dude and YOU are sending money to her kids,,,huh? Doesn't look good and doesn't make sense. Picture me this Riddler, if you have a U.S. based girlfriend with a child, you guys break up, you keep sending her money for the kid? I don't think so right? Explain if you can, why you broke up to begin with.

Feb 15, 2005
I have been supporting a woman and her 2 kids in the Dr for a little over 3 years now. I broke up with her in mid February on my last visit and have had no contact with her since. Of course, she has been trying to contact me almost daily. My question is: Can she have me arrested for non-support when I return to the DR?[/QUOTE]

Short answer: No. Absolutely no.

OK, we can close the thread now.

Dude, why close it? There could be someone else in a similar problem that can quietly use some insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.