Are Civil cases public info?

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
These are various lawsuits with a condo project, and I am one of the buyers. Some parties are claiming victories in court. I would like to know if they indeed won the latest appeal, or case, before giving the attorney the final payment. Are civil cases against developers public information, and where can I get this information? Thanks

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Before giving the attorney the final payment. you should ask him or her to provide you with a certification stating that the project is clean and that there is no pending litigation.

Personally, you won't be able to obtain the information. Have your lawyer do it for you.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Atty. Guzman, thanks for your reply, however, many people have withheld the final payment, and are suing because this information is not being provided, and the project is not finished, and deeds not issued. Some owners have sued, and have claimed victory in court. The attorneys are asking for payment. So my question is, before giving the attorney the payment, is there any way to verify that the attorney did indeed win the case in court? thanks

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
When you say "the attorneys are asking for payment", do you refer to the attorneys for the seller or the attorneys who won the case in court? If you refer to the latter, then you should just ask them for a copy of the ruling.