Software Development Outsourcing

alatriste

Mar 6, 2011
Is there some companies or individuals that run software development businesses targeted at foreign (generally North American) customers willing to outsource their programming jobs?
I'm from Russia, I lived in DR for almost two years circa 2008-2010 in Sosua area, but had to move back due to some personal reasons. I have fairly rich Java EE skills and experience. While in DR, I was working for Russian customers and never had any contacts with people doing IT-related work for North American clients.
Now I'm thinking about moving to DR again. The main issue that arises is a job-related. How viable would be an idea of starting a software development business (individual or company form)? What difficulties may arise while organizing such activity in DR?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Biggest problems in no particular order :)

- Finding competent local programmers that have the right work ethic.
- Convincing local clients that your worth X amount per hour.

I can hire excellent php/mysql coders (Philippines and Russia) for US$300-400 month.
The market is very competitive and full of struggling coders.

Coders are not normally social creatures and in this business you need to network, network and network some more to get local clients or online clients. Especially when you're starting out.

My advice is get yourself a bunch of online clients then think about moving here when you don't have to worry about the local market as a source of income.

alatriste

Mar 6, 2011
Thanks for response, Robert.

I don't count on local customers almost at all. DR is a small economy, it simply doesn't have enough demand for software projects of big scale.
As for competent programmers, it doesn't seems to be an issue. I consider myself a competent programmer with many year of hands-on experience ranging from in-house developments to boxed products. One of the best things about this industry is that it is scales extremely well from one-man shops to huge MNCs. If there will be possibility to expand I hope to find a few bright young guys among locals and train them to do the job. Dominicans are not any dumber than anyone else, they just need something to start with.

I'm not sure about Philippines, but I frequently see PHP developer vacancies in Russia with 1000-1500 US$/month wage offers. I'm talking about good developers. For US$ 300-400 you will get a student that can manage to write code fast, but knows nothing about good practices and design. If you need a dozen pages website this is not an issue as you can just throw away and rewrite messed-up parts. But for anything non-trivial, bad system design will cost a lot in a long run.

Actually, PHP is not my area as well as public web-sites building. My main tool is Java, and working area is closer to complex enterprise solutions. You can clearly see the difference in demand and compensation level by searching indeed.com by Java or PHP keywords.

Do you have some feedback from people who had experience dealing with in Zona Franca in Puerto Plata? Is it any good for business like software development?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have and do employ excellent coders for those rates.
I have a php/mysql guy from Russia and a graphics guy from the Ukraine.

Outsourcing is cool, a buzz word, so "some" companies are paying crazy rates for people. When you have been doing it for 10 years, you build up a good contact list and can cut through the BS and avoid dealing with middlemen or 2nd and 3rd tier providers :)

I have had people quote me US$12/hr and settle for US$75 week or US$3hr for regular work.
You want a VPA (Virtual Private Assistant), you can pick up good Indian and Philippine based VPA's for between US$3-5hr.

As I said, build up your clients, then move here. If you work on critical stuff that requires that you absolutely need to be connected at all times, don't move here :)

hiigara

Mar 19, 2011
Is there some companies or individuals that run software development businesses targeted at foreign (generally North American) customers willing to outsource their programming jobs?
I'm from Russia, I lived in DR for almost two years circa 2008-2010 in Sosua area, but had to move back due to some personal reasons. I have fairly rich Java EE skills and experience. While in DR, I was working for Russian customers and never had any contacts with people doing IT-related work for North American clients.
Now I'm thinking about moving to DR again. The main issue that arises is a job-related. How viable would be an idea of starting a software development business (individual or company form)? What difficulties may arise while organizing such activity in DR?

Hi alatriste. I am also a Software Developer relocating to the DR soon.
If you are interested in sharing office facilities PM me.
I don't have any customers yet either. Maybe I will end up taking a non-it job until the business catches up.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Outsourcing is cool, a buzz word, so "some" companies are paying crazy rates for people. When you have been doing it for 10 years, you build up a good contact list and can cut through the BS and avoid dealing with middlemen or 2nd and 3rd tier providers :)
That is the hard part...

aruba7

Mar 21, 2011
I am looking for a software programmer named Carlos familar with a gaming websites. He did one for some friends of mine, and would like to buy the soft from him.