Lawyer gets you a false cedula?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
How can this happen ( I have heard of People not knowing their cedula is false until renewal) what is the penalty for the victim. What would be the outcome for the lawyers future? (trying to understand the motive behind making a few hundred bucks in return for his future, if he would even be prosecuted).

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
How can this happen ( I have heard of People not knowing their cedula is false until renewal) what is the penalty for the victim. What would be the outcome for the lawyers future? (trying to understand the motive behind making a few hundred bucks in return for his future, if he would even be prosecuted).

This can only happen if you choose some "crooked" way of obtaining your residency and/or cedula for what ever reason. If you choose the normal legal procedure this is almost impossible!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
This can only happen if you choose some "crooked" way of obtaining your residency and/or cedula for what ever reason. If you choose the normal legal procedure this is almost impossible!

This is what I thought, but even on here the other week a lady told of her not knowing until time to renew, hence my question. How can this happan?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
When you have people on the inside being paid off, then it can happen.

Why is this not news to you? hehe

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
When you have people on the inside being paid off, then it can happen.

Why is this not news to you? hehe

I still have faith that one day I shall find something that can not be fiddled, I've a feeling my faith may be misguided.:ermm:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
This is what I thought, but even on here the other week a lady told of her not knowing until time to renew, hence my question. How can this happan?

One reason is because people are TOO LAZY to do things themselves.

They want to paid someone to get it for them and even SEND it to them back in the States.

We just had a thread recently asking if a lawyer could send then their residency card.

Laziness breeds ...............

SantiagoDR

Reactions: Celt202

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Careful the majority of lawyers in the DR are lazy, incompetent, and mediocre I would say approximately 80-85% of them. I know from personal experience and other people's experiences that I'm familiar with. Its a big reason why I would not consider moving here the law system here is mediocre and the majority of the lawyers want money and money with very little productivity and results for their clients behalf.

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Agree

I have to agree with babi bori. After more than five years in the DR and our dealings and all my connections dealing I have to say that 85% are bad, corrupt, and horrible lawyers sounds about right. The problem is that when you put your faith and money in a lawyer in this country and they screw you or are found to be completely incompetent there is no real recourse. You're basically SOL and looking for another one to try again. Maybe a good sticky would be a list of lawyers proven through good work to members on DR1. A list of bad ones would go on and on I'm sure.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have to agree with babi bori. After more than five years in the DR and our dealings and all my connections dealing I have to say that 85% are bad, corrupt, and horrible lawyers sounds about right. The problem is that when you put your faith and money in a lawyer in this country and they screw you or are found to be completely incompetent there is no real recourse. You're basically SOL and looking for another one to try again. Maybe a good sticky would be a list of lawyers proven through good work to members on DR1. A list of bad ones would go on and on I'm sure.

The law firm of Fabio Guzman, the lawyer who answers questions in the Legal section, has an offices in Santo Domingo and offices in or near most areas where tourists and expats are likely to be. A very large percentage of their clients are foreign individuals and businesses. You can find the information about these offices on their website: Guzman Ariza Law Firm in the Dominican Republic

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You can also tell the company services foreigners by the rates they may charge, slightly more pricey than average. I believe Cedula application is $1100us these days, without the express route, but don't hold me to that, they possibly cater to individual cases.

If I've broken any guidelines or anything by stating advertisers rates just remove the post, not that important.

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
guzman

I agree that Guzman Ariza is probably hands down the best firm in the DR. The only problem is that they do charge quite a bit more than most and some of us, who have to make a living in the DR, struggle with the higher cost.

But as they say, "You get get what you pay for". I've had to eat those words several times over the last few years.