Pld 2012

Who do you think will represent the PLD during the 2012 elections?

• Leonel Fern?ndez Reyna

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Rafael Alburquerque

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Danilo Medina

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Jos? Tom?s P?rez

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Who do you think will represent the PLD for the 2012 elections? Why or why not?

OPTIONS:

(A) Leonel Fern?ndez Reyna
leonel-fernandez.jpg

(B) Rafael Alburquerque
RAFAEL+ALBURQUERQUE+PRESIDENCIA.bmp

(C) Danilo Medina
127B0434-1D5B-401F-AAE5-1EC554D4D861.jpeg

(E) Jos? Tom?s P?rez
jose_tomas_perez.jpg

(F) Other

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
-So which one of them will lose to Hippolito Mejia ?

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
I don't think it will be Leonel. It seems fairly clear at this point his intention was to run again, via referendum and ignoring the new constitution. But the public outcry was swift load and clear against such a flagrant disregard for the law. I believe he has reluctantly concluded it is not is his best interest to pursue another term.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Kozy said:
I don't think it will be Leonel. It seems fairly clear at this point his intention was to run again, via referendum and ignoring the new constitution. But the public outcry was swift load and clear against such a flagrant disregard for the law. I believe he has reluctantly concluded it is not is his best interest to pursue another term.
But the prospect of Hippo gives him the perfect pretext to change the rules to "save the nation".

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Leonel is not running again. Remember, he was the one who signed into law during his 1996-2000 rule prohibiting re-election, that was the reason Danilo Medina was nominated to represent the PLD and lost to Hip?lito (at that time, the only thing Hip?lito had on his side was that Pe?a G?mez had died in 1998 and many people felt sorry for him; but that would had been fruitless had Leonel been on the ballot). Had it been against Leonel, the PLD would had won that election.

Then in 2004 Hip?lito was not suppose to run for re-election since it was prohibited by law, but then he changed the law to allow one more re-election. He ran and lost to none other than Leonel, who had not broken any electoral laws.

Then in 2008 many PRD supporters were demanding for an end to the re-election clause, obviously in order to prevent Leonel from being re-elected; but Leonel was not going to fall for that again since the last time he tried to end re-elections and prevent what happened with Balaguer, it turned out to be in vain since the PRD changed the rules anyway.

Leonel doesn't have a history of changing electoral laws to his advantage. If anything, his experience has been contrary to that.

Now the PRD, that's a different story. Not only did Hip?lito changed the rules for the 2004 elections, but he had adamantly denied he was going to run for re-election and then, voila; Hip?lito tried to be re-elected.

Similar situations have occurred with other PRD instances. For example, Miguel Vargas Maldonado signed a pact with Leonel Fernandez and the PLD promising, among other things, to give continuity to the Metro project. That was about a year ago. Then last week Miguel Vargas in one of the morning television shows clearly said he was not going to give any following to the Metro project, in complete violation of the pact he signed roughly a year before.

Then came the pact from last week that Miguel and Hip?lito signed, promising to accept the results of the PRD votes. What happened when it was clear that Hip?lito had won? Miguel came out claiming fraud, that 200,000 PLD people voted for Hip?lito. Before that Pacheco came out saying that some word-of-mouth poll proved that Maldonado had won.

The point is that the PLD and Leonel doesn't have a history of violating electoral rules. If anything, whenever they touch that subject, in the long run it turns out to be to their detriment since the opposition does what it wants, when it wants regardless what they promised to do and not do.

Hip?lito doesn't really have a chance to win the next elections. The PLD has all the cards stacked on its side and they haven't even started the campaign yet. Combine that with all the things that will be happening in the following years and that Leonel is letting the pro-Leonel rumors to continue, without clearing whether he's going to run or not (he's not); the results will be pro-PLD regardless who runs.

Pe?a G?mez' charisma is virtually non-existant and except for those searching for a botella, the crisis of 2003/04 is still quite vivid in the minds of most people. Hip?lito is practically screwed.

They can keep chanting "lleg? pap?" as often as they want, most people know very well that "con pap?, vamo pa'tra a to' lo que da." :cheeky:

Jan 5, 2006
I think that it'll end up being the current VP, Rafael Alburquerque.

Personally, I would like it to be Francisco Dominguez Brito, but he has practically no chance. Not crooked enough for the party's liking!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We all forgot the Margarita option. Brace yourselves for some more hideous headgear.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
she certainly looks the part with her margaret-thatcher-ugly clothes...
Maybe its a Margaret 'thing.'

Margaret and Margarita are the same name, right? :cheeky:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i cannot imagine margarita running for presidency. she seems quite bland (except for her wardrobe).

in a recent poll (NALs may be interested) by zeta 101 people were asked: who was a better president, hipolito or leonel. hipolito got more votes.
i think people are tired or PLD and leonel but at the end the winner will be the one who gives out more, promises more and who has more money.
in addition MVM's poest pre-elections behaviour is creating a split within his own party, this does not look good for PRD.

still, i look forward to the peak of the 2012 campain, i love how colourful and crazy it gets :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Robert doesn't have to pack his bags just yet, but I see Leonel vs Hipolito with Hipolito winning.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
NALS we need two more polls one with Margarita and Hippo, one with Margarita VS MVM...

Let's see where this idea stands...

The one with Margarita, Danilo, Fernandez, MVM, Hippo and JLG + Guerreo in a duo...

??????????????????????????????????????

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
NALS we need two more polls one with Margarita and Hippo, one with Margarita VS MVM...

Let's see where this idea stands...

The one with Margarita, Danilo, Fernandez, MVM, Hippo and JLG + Guerreo in a duo...

??????????????????????????????????????
MVM is out of the picture, so no need for Margarita vs him.

And Margarita has yet to be chosen as the representative of the PLD. (Not that it matters who represents the PLD, LOL). Lets wait and see what happens...

May 12, 2005
Another thing to consider is that perhaps Margarita didn't want to face the rigors of campaigning and the all nasty innuedos and attacks by Hipolito and his minions.

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
this is why

this is why dominicans never progress! u see this? everyone complains about the pld and look now everyone is going for leonel! OMG come on guys stop selling urselfs for bags of rice that he gives out @ election times! que viva trujillo!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
@ djuno718: Riiiight, and chanting for a politician that has been dead for half a century is an assuring sign. Eh?

@ everyone else: As expected, Danilo Medina won the nomination while on DR1 he only got 32.26% of the votes! LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.