American Football player attends cockfight during DR vacation.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
When in Rome? Cockfighting is considered a blood sport in dozens of countries around the world, including much of Lating America and the Caribbean, and most of Southeast Asia.
No humans get killed or addled for life or get suicidal or die from degenerative brain issues at 45 or 50...like hockey or NFL players, and maybe even baseball players!!

So it's cruelty? Well the winning birds don't think (?) so...
People go to horse races and dog races, which is some cases are just if not more cruel to the animals, if not then, in later "life"....

Cockfighting is a substitute for war, just like bull fighting. And don't most of you root for the bull??? Come on! Get over this mamby pamby bull doo doo...it (cockfighting) is just one people's way of making war. They transfer to little birds and the money they bet all the heat and frustration they have to live with.

Poor NFL fans...so blankety blank two-faced...."Get the quarterback" = hurt/injure the quarterback!

Oh quit it!!

HB

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Poor NFL fans...so blankety blank two-faced...."Get the quarterback" = hurt/injure the quarterback!

Oh quit it!!

HB

Exactly. If he'd have gone to a boxing match or an MMA contest to watch two guys pummeling one another into a coma under the sanction of the State Commission (oh, that makes okay then) it would have been more respectable I guess.

This isn't the NFL fans or the NFL front office. It's tabloid journalism practiced by the new mainstream media and PETA, both starved for a hot button issue, one for profit and the other for control. Only when we all ignore them will they move on....

May 12, 2005
Exactly. If he'd have gone to a boxing match or an MMA contest to watch two guys pummeling one another into a coma under the sanction of the State Commission (oh, that makes okay then) it would have been more respectable I guess.

This isn't the NFL fans or the NFL front office. It's tabloid journalism practiced by the new mainstream media and PETA, both starved for a hot button issue, one for profit and the other for control. Only when we all ignore them will they move on....

I belong to the other PETA. People Eating Tasty Animals.

Reactions: greydread

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You make a great point HB.

I wonder what would have happened if he attended a dogfight?

You have made an even better point with this. I go to cock fights, introduced into it by my girls family, i find it good fun, a bit of pointless gambling and a good time to have agood shout and scream. I took my father along when he visited us recently, I wouldn't attend in a million years a dog fight. I most certainly wouldn't take anyone along for an afternoons entertainment. Dogs are my companions, chickens are food.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
greydread observes

slight distinction, grey. boxers get into the ring by choice. i do not need to have my countenance altered, so i do not box. the animals in gladiator exercises have very little choice.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
slight distinction, grey. boxers get into the ring by choice. i do not need to have my countenance altered, so i do not box. the animals in gladiator exercises have very little choice.

these birds fight naturally anyway, no?
I don't think cocks put all that much thought into life, pretty much do what comes naturally.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
You beat me to it Anastacio. I raise a small flock of chickens(25-40)for consumption. The roosters have 10-15 hens each to service; they still find time and energy to fight until one is severely injured or killed. I don't encourage them to do it since I have to clean and dress the loser right away. They fight as part of their nature to be the top cock.;)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
so, i guess that because they do so in nature, it is ok to exacerbate the condition by creating an atmosphere for aggravating the violence. to each his own.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
so, i guess that because they do so in nature, it is ok to exacerbate the condition by creating an atmosphere for aggravating the violence. to each his own.

Looks like it makes no difference, would be fighting with or without assistance. If anything, attaching blades gets it over with quicker than the prolonged kicking they would normally get. And at the end of the day it is a chicken, not a dog or a bear.

I expect they have a more complete life than most others.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
When in Rome? Cockfighting is considered a blood sport in dozens of countries around the world, including much of Lating America and the Caribbean, and most of Southeast Asia.
No humans get killed or addled for life or get suicidal or die from degenerative brain issues at 45 or 50...like hockey or NFL players, and maybe even baseball players!!

So it's cruelty? Well the winning birds don't think (?) so...
People go to horse races and dog races, which is some cases are just if not more cruel to the animals, if not then, in later "life"....

Cockfighting is a substitute for war, just like bull fighting. And don't most of you root for the bull??? Come on! Get over this mamby pamby bull doo doo...it (cockfighting) is just one people's way of making war. They transfer to little birds and the money they bet all the heat and frustration they have to live with.

Oh quit it!!

HB

I would say Football is a better analogy for war than birdfighting.

But all in all I notice how the big "to do" is about how he watched chickens fight instead of eating them, so delectable they are. No mention was made of how many whores he consorted with during his vacation either. Tells you degradation of poultry is more newsworthy than degradation of women.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Which chicken has a better chance, the one in a cock fight or the one in Perdue's stable????

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

The same could be said for the violence that is promoted in American sports like football, hockey, boxing and mma. This is the point I find so ironic.

Even more so is somehow souless animals that don't know right from wrong and mostly spend their whole life in the wild killing and being killed are lamented more than a human being, the greatest of all the "animals". I find this hard to comprehend at times. PC at it best.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i can not forget the sight of a 12 year old boy who was tossed a losing rooster after a fight. no shoes, ragged clothes, he ran home with that dead bird as if he'd hit the lottery, his family would have a feast that night.......

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
these birds fight naturally anyway, no?
I don't think cocks put all that much thought into life, pretty much do what comes naturally.

They do fight naturally but only when there is an occasion where they need to show dominance which in most cases it is not too brutal of a fight. Plus they don't have anyone egging them on to fight in a circle and sharpenning their spurs.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004

We do this to PEOPLE all the time...just look at the extremely overcrowded prisons and tell me that practice promotes peaceful coexistence. I prefer my chicken broiled, not battered. Cojelo suave primo, it's just a chicken. China butchers 100,000's of chickens daily just for KFC! I doubt it's done in a "humane" manner; if that's possible when killing something.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
i can not forget the sight of a 12 year old boy who was tossed a losing rooster after a fight. no shoes, ragged clothes, he ran home with that dead bird as if he'd hit the lottery, his family would have a feast that night.......

I saw this in Puerto Rico at the back of the gallera. The losing birds, dead or still alive, were given to a bunch of boys waiting for the end of each bout. It was as festive for them as it was for those who won betting on their favorite combatants.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
We do this to PEOPLE all the time...just look at the extremely overcrowded prisons and tell me that practice promotes peaceful coexistence. I prefer my chicken broiled, not battered. Cojelo suave primo, it's just a chicken. China butchers 100,000's of chickens daily just for KFC! I doubt it's done in a "humane" manner; if that's possible when killing something.

Well IMO, I think jail should not be a paradise for law breakers, and these chickens are killed for consumption and you are not 100% sure they are not being killed humanely.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I am absolutely 100% sure that 100% of chickens killed for fast food consumption are not killed humainly, absolutely sure.