transmission lock for new car...necessary?

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Hi, i live in the Cab/Sosua area on the north coast and have just bought myself a car. I have seen a few people with transmission locks fitted in their cars and was wondering:

a) are they effective?
b) are they necessary? What are the chances of having my car stolen in this part of the country? (ps its nothing fancy, just a chevrolet tracker)

Thanks

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
insurance would be of more use, i think.
i have a car and never gave any thought to a transmission lock.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
insurance would be of more use, i think.
i have a car and never gave any thought to a transmission lock.

Does insurance stop your car being stolen??

I would have thought that an attempt at prevention of theft is far better than going through the hassle of having your car stolen and fighting with the insurance company, no?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Thats nuts man, Isnt that just a steering wheel club placed around the gear selector on the floor? Nuts

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Hi, i live in the Cab/Sosua area on the north coast and have just bought myself a car. I have seen a few people with transmission locks fitted in their cars and was wondering:

a) are they effective?
b) are they necessary? What are the chances of having my car stolen in this part of the country? (ps its nothing fancy, just a chevrolet tracker)

Thanks
Transmission locks!!! I used to have one of those devise in my 1997 Toyota Corolla in 2003, no body loves your car more than you do.
If you can afford to pay for the installation the best place to go is on Av. Estrella Sadhala esq. Calle 9 los Jardines Metropolitanos Santiago.
I paid $ 14,000. Pesos by the time, I don't have an idea how much it cost now.

JJ

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Does insurance stop your car being stolen??
I would have thought that an attempt at prevention of theft is far better than going through the hassle of having your car stolen and fighting with the insurance company, no?

i think your car is more likely to be hit than stolen. in miesposo's family there are hundreds of cars, they all had accidents and only a few ever had been stolen. just sayin'.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Think you mean the MulTi- lock system which is a steel 'U' which fits around the shifter.These are very effective and quite hard to defeat in the time available to the opportunist crook.
Downside is that they are quite ugly in a nice new car and that when they are fitted the fitters may damage your interior.
If you park your new car outside and in a non- supervised area, a lock is a good idea. Much better than those annoying alarms which everyone ignores and often fail so you can't start your own car.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
If you are concerned about your car to be stolen I'm going to give you an advice on who to install a hidden interrupter switch:

Take apart the plastic rivet that holds the carpet by the motorist door, look for the wires and peel the isolator tape so you can see all the wiring going to the rear end of your vehicle.
Using a tester (punta de prueba) check all the lines for power, set the transmission on neutral idling the engine, all lights should be in the off position and when you find a line with power cut it off and install a gas pump interrupter switch in a secret place.

Good luck.

JJ