Why not fly from San Juan?

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
With the enormous differences in prices to fly practically any where from San Juan instead of Santo Domingo. Some examples after 5 minutes on Expedia: New York $150 cheaper, Madrid $455 cheaper, London $261 cheaper. These include all taxes including Leonel's inflated ones. I'm a bit suprised nobody has started a fast Hovercraft or Hydrofoil service or is there a factor I've overlooked?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I might be a bit off on this but I think with AA's strangle hold on the STI and SDQ =>SJU route I think you can fly to New York Cheaper on Spirit than you can go to San Juan!!

I just got a R/T STI- FLL-STI for $211......hehehe....It would have cost me less than 100 to get to NYC...

"All I want to do, is have some fun..."

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Santo Domingo-San Juan is said to be the most expensive flights on earth in terms of cost per kilometer.

The good news is that the DR-PR Ferry is starting again this month with crossings to San Juan as well as Mayaguez so that might be another option at less than US$200 one-way.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
AA has been forced to reduce all their fares to and from the DR, they no longer have the virtual monopoly they had say 8 or so years ago.

SDQ-SJU, used to be outrageous, but Jet Blue entering the market has forced prices down. (JetBlue started with flights from SDQ-SJU a few times a week, then increased to one flight every day, then increased to two flights every day, and in the summer, it looks like there will be three per day! so I assume that route is doing well for them!)

Just picked a random trip in May. Jet blue has SDQ-SJU $64 each way plus tax. total $250.10

Reactions: mountainannie

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
AA has been forced to reduce all their fares to and from the DR, they no longer have the virtual monopoly they had say 8 or so years ago.

SDQ-SJU, used to be outrageous, but Jet Blue entering the market has forced prices down. (JetBlue started with flights from SDQ-SJU a few times a week, then increased to one flight every day, then increased to two flights every day, and in the summer, it looks like there will be three per day! so I assume that route is doing well for them!)

Just picked a random trip in May. Jet blue has SDQ-SJU $64 each way plus tax. total $250.10

$250 return all-in. That's what I paid 26 Feb. 6 Mar.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
When time is not of the essence you will soon be able to go to Puerto Rico by sea from around US$ 170 return. If 3 of you are travelling that's quite a saving. Mind you I don't yet know how much it costs from the harbour to the airport.