Whats the most practical way of doing this?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Last time when I was in the DR, it seemed to be a challenge opening up a Bank Account, maybe it was me, or maybe they are sceptical of foreigners opening up accounts? In Canada I deal with Scotiabank, I was going to have them write me a letter that I'm in 'good standing' and open up an account at a ScotiaBank in the DR(exchange my Canadian for RD). Sounds simple enough? And hopefully the scotiabank in the DR will issue me an ATM Card? I want to have my funds in RD in a Dominican Bank and not have to use my 'Canadian ATM Card' and get ripped with the exchange rates back in Canada for RD.. Is there a better solution? Am I missing something? Thanks..

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Seems like you have everything covered.

Go to the Dominican bank with your letter from your home bank and a couple of forms of ID. One should be your passport.

They should then be able to open your account and issue you with an ATM/ debit card.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
When I opened my account in the BHD I required my passport, and a copy of my last two income tax statements, my pay statement, and my bank account in Canada. All none without problem. Of course my wife has banked there for years and know the accounts officer.

Dec 21, 2008
Mr Silver Fox and I recently opened an account at Banco Leon. All we needed was our passports. We had to wait about two weeks for our passports to be verified, make an initial deposit and that was it. Some info (verbal) was taken and we were issued a bank card and away we went.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I did it the way you suggest. Have ScotiaBank set up the appointment for you... asking for an English speaking officer if you need it.

Passport, bring 2 reference letters from lawyers (they asked me for that)
I didn't have the income tax , etc.

Perhaps, the Cdn branch can procure a list of what you'll need.... but that may be different when you actually show up:eek:
I wasn't aware of the reference letter issue...fast phone call and a fax solved it on the spot....don't leave the bank until you have the account

It shouldn't complicated..... famous last words.

WW