De Lancer Internet - Terrible Service

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
This is an open letter to De Lancer Internet and Comcast.
The internet service provided by De Lancer has been extremely bad lately and it was reported locally that you De Lancer, had a major fire in your Equipment Room about 3 weeks ago.

I am asking in this open letter for the management and owners of De Lancer to let all of us know when a reasonable level of service will be restored.

There are rumours that only the minimum is being done to restore the service and funds are being taken out of the company because De Lancer cannot compete with the 3G capability now available with adaptors for computers and the commercial competition in the future from Fibre Optic systems that are being installed.
Many of us have been experiencing problem of unavailable internet and I have asked around a number of people in the Sosua Area and they have the same problem.

My expectation is of reasonable service and would like something close to 95% availability and not the 10% availability of the De Lancer internet service I am currently getting. The latency is also extremely high and many sites time out. The speed test ( Thread DR1 http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/110972-delancer-internet.html) varies tremendously.
This letter will also be sent to Comcast on e-mail : comcast.servicios@gmail.com

I have followed with some interest the Speed Test Thread on DR1 and some of the other comments about internet and TV service.

I invite all other DR1?s to add their comments about Internet Service on the north Coast to this thread.
My Delancer Code is 4478

And my direct E-mail is jowett_bradford@yahoo.co.uk

We all pay good money for this service and if you DeLancer fail to reply we will know that these rumours are true.
Olly

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
De Lancer have nothing to do with Internet. The Internet providers rent space on the cable.

Aug 21, 2007
You are right, Oily, the internet service has been extremely bad lately. At times, my internet automatically rolls over to the neighbor's WIFI box, because my connection is so very bad.

I have also been told that Delancer has sold more customers than can be serviced from their lines. Don't know if I said that in the correct computer jargon. But regardless, service has been poor, at best.

Lindsey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Lindsey, that is entirely possible. With a cable modem, the connections are done in a star configuration. That means if too many people are connected to the same point at the center of the star, they all get horrible bandwidth because that is the "choke" point for them. No surprise that this would happen here.

DSL would be a better solution if your cable modem company is overloading the connections.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Thank you for the technical stuff - but are you on Delancer and is it bad?

Olly

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thank you for the technical stuff - but are you on Delancer and is it bad?

Olly

No, I have Codetel DSL. It is overpriced for what it is, but functions better than the cable modem systems on the north coast. When I was in the US, I was one of the first users of a cable modem system in the San Francisco Bay area of California and it was excellent. That positive experience with cable modems was between 10 and 20 years ago with speeds 10 times what I see here in the DR with Codetel and their VIP plan.

Unfortunately cable modem systems here are not set up correctly and I can safely say they 20 years behind where they should be. I have seen dial up systems work as well.

miozio

May 23, 2009
I've been looking for a better solution even before the fire. I need faster Internet, like 10 times the maximum speed De Lancer offers. Whats the news on Fibre optical providers, when, who and please open soon! I would be enjoying like 100Mb/s in Europe 1/3 of the price i am paying for my Comcast 1.5Mb and will not buy their top speed of 5Mb because that one will cost up to $200 for the pitiful speed they will not be able to maintain!

Coralia

Mar 30, 2007
www.myspace.com
Hi folks i tottally agree, its very bad lately, i am with them for 4 years now and never experienced it this bad, while it is a very expensiv4 one..and i need it for some work related stuff...it sucks, sorry to say, i called and called but there is always some excuse...sigh...hope they will listen some day so they can improve their business towards their clients...

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
We have internet via the cable TV from Delancer and apart from a few dropouts, it's still pretty good. Had an American friend stay last week who said it was better than at his house in US.
Strange how it varies. We're on the Sosua/Cabarete link.

Aug 21, 2007
If anyone is reading/posting from Perla Marina, Codetel has told me that their lines in our development are not good and they would not recommend anyone having internet in this project. That was a couple of years ago.

I wonder if anything has changed since then. Anyone in Perla Marina have internet provided by Codetel?

Lindsey

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
That who I pay and they are my providers

Olly

A different guy come to our place to collect the internet for Perla Marina. But you're right, you have to go to DeLancer's store when paying in person. The $$$ go into a different pocket that's all. Either way, I agree, the service is crappy.

BDAboy

Nov 26, 2010
I just signed up for Orange's 3G Service i live in sabanetta there is no other option from what I have been told its not fast where I am but i got internet does anyone know any other options ?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
The service we have had lately, and that includes two trips from there technician who wanted to change some wiring and junctions that have worked well for years, would have to imporve drastically to be classified as bad. It has been way beyond bad lately.

Bob K

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Nobody gets it right..

We have internet via the cable TV from Delancer and apart from a few dropouts, it's still pretty good. Had an American friend stay last week who said it was better than at his house in US.
Strange how it varies. We're on the Sosua/Cabarete link.

What that means is you are lucky to be one of the few people connected to the "star" in your area. They just haven't been able to sell enough subscriptions in your region to drag down the speed to what others are seeing.

I had purchased a used satellite dish from an owner in Perla Marina that he was using for satellite internet since Codetel could not support internet in Perla Marina. I suspect Perla Marina is just too far from the central station for DSL to work.

As for the fiber optic connections that were being done when Codetel ripped up the highway and repaired it badly what seems like a year ago now in our area, I suspect it will still take time before Codetel gets around to actually using those fibers and gets everyone up to the speed that they are actually paying for.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Just to update everybody. The De Lancer internet service is still bad. No response from either DeLancer or Comcast. I guess the rumours were right!

Olly

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
It is truly pitiful...at times I have about an 80 or 90% timeout response...I have to reload page after page and eventually it will load...at times like I'm on an old 300 baud modem...won't load graphics, photos, text alignment is off, etc...

Dec 21, 2008
Any other options in La Mulata

We are using De Lancer in La Mulata...are there any better options? De Lancer is terrible unless you use it between midnight and 6 am. It is incredibly frustrating during the day.

ok123

Oct 11, 2009
I'm happy...

I'm happy with my service...
A few months ago Codetel didn't have service in Sosua for 2 weeks !!!!
So after a few days i went to their office in POP and discovered that my contract time limit is almost done so i decided to switch to Delancer (who by the way don't do a contract for 18 months, only month by month).
I had the 800kbps line and it worked fine except of watching TV shows online, so i switched to the VIP 1.5M line and it's perfect.
No one on the Island can provide an IP address from the US (only Delancer gave me this option) and for sure i don't see Delancer 2 weeks without Internet - even after the big fire they had...

So if you have a problem open a service, i called them and they came after 2h because i had a small problem with the change i from the normal package to the VIP.

:glasses:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I'm happy with my service...
A few months ago Codetel didn't have service in Sosua for 2 weeks !!!!
So after a few days i went to their office in POP and discovered that my contract time limit is almost done so i decided to switch to Delancer (who by the way don't do a contract for 18 months, only month by month).
I had the 800kbps line and it worked fine except of watching TV shows online, so i switched to the VIP 1.5M line and it's perfect.
No one on the Island can provide an IP address from the US (only Delancer gave me this option) and for sure i don't see Delancer 2 weeks without Internet - even after the big fire they had...

So if you have a problem open a service, i called them and they came after 2h because i had a small problem with the change i from the normal package to the VIP.

:glasses:
It would appear that you are one of the lucky ones and the first I've heard that is satisfied. Maybe they decided to spend a few $$$ to purchase the extra bandwidth they needed. Wait and see how long it will last ;)